UPSB v4

Off-topic / Graphic Cards

1. Jan
    Date: Tue, Jun 26 2012 19:17:43

Recently, I bought a new laptop [HP Pavilion dv7] along with CoD MW3. The graphics card on the laptop is an integrated Intel Graphics 4000. As a result, game play was not as smooth as I hoped and FPS was quite low. I was wondering whenever it was possible, first of all, to change the graphics card on this laptop and if so, what I should get. I am looking not to spend hundreds of dollars because I'm not a professional gamer; however I would like decent high quality for MW3. Please help... and try to keep relevant to my topic; don't bash the game or tell me to get a PC instead. The game is for recreational purposes and I prefer a laptop since I'm still in school.

2. XYZaki
    Date: Tue, Jun 26 2012 19:50:37

You CAN replace the GPU of a laptop. However your choices are limited to replacement parts from other laptops. Such as this. You need to make sure it's compatible first. Another solution is an eGPU. Basically, you use an adapter to turn the ExpressCard port of your laptop into a PCI-E 1.0 slot. Then you buy a video card of your choice. There is some bottleneck but it will be much better than your integrated graphics. You will also need to buy a power supply to power the graphics card. You also won't be able to render the graphics from the eGPU onto your laptop's screen, you will have to use an external monitor, which is fine if you already have a dual monitor setup with your lappy tappy. You can read more about this laborious process here. Of course, this is assuming you even have an Expresscard slot. Otherwise, it's a lot of work just to play games. Buy a fucking PC.

3. GenesisNoir
    Date: Tue, Jun 26 2012 21:23:25

I know this is not a solution to your graphic card problem but i have a quick fix. If you want more smoother fps, you MUST have to sacrifice your video quality. Try turning off anti aliasing, bullet impacts, number of corpses and set the video quality manually and all to "low" for the best performance. I have a similar laptop like you (pavilion g6) and i was gutted to see how slow the framerate was for my games e.g "Battlefield play4free" but once i turned down the settings it worked like a charm. I heard MW3 runs on a highly modified quake engine just like mw2 and cod4 so it should be playable even on a slightly old pc/laptop. Good luck

4. Furloy
    Date: Wed, Jun 27 2012 00:32:57

I believe a laptop's GPU is upgradable but you want a good repair shop to do it. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M is what is in the new laptop I'm getting.

5. PenwisH
    Date: Wed, Jun 27 2012 02:47:16

getting integrated video card and games don't mix. end of story. spending a few hundred bucks to get a laptop with it already si going to be cheaper overall than upgrading it.

6. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jun 27 2012 03:28:38

Recently, I bought a new laptop [HP Pavilion dv7] along with CoD MW3. The graphics card on the laptop is an integrated Intel Graphics 4000.
    4000? that laptop must be quite new, like 1 month old. why didn't you just buy a new laptop with discrete graphics in it?

7. GenesisNoir
    Date: Wed, Jun 27 2012 11:25:07

alternatively, you could try overclocking/optimizing your laptop. I think you have to go to system properties (advanced tab) > performance options (advanced tab) > virtual memory (click on change) and multiply your total ram by 1.5. Here is a tutorial of it. [video=youtube;nEJnub48ld0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEJnub48ld0[/video]

8. UEDan
    Date: Wed, Jun 27 2012 12:42:52

GenesisNoir wrote: alternatively, you could try overclocking/optimizing your laptop. I think you have to go to system properties (advanced tab) > performance options (advanced tab) > virtual memory (click on change) and multiply your total ram by 1.5. Here is a tutorial of it. [video=youtube;nEJnub48ld0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEJnub48ld0[/video]
    Virtual memory? Shut up and :gtfo:

9. GenesisNoir
    Date: Wed, Jun 27 2012 22:50:55

UEDan wrote: Virtual memory? Shut up and :gtfo:
    Im just trying to help here, no need to be rude >_>

10. UEDan
    Date: Thu, Jun 28 2012 09:31:19

Yeah,... youhavent been here long enoughto get my jokes.... Bottom line, you bought a laptop to play games...booooo. turndown to lowest settings liket his fucker said. Sent from my DROID2 Global using Tapatalk 2

11. GenesisNoir
    Date: Thu, Jun 28 2012 12:54:41

UEDan wrote: Yeah,... youhavent been here long enoughto get my jokes.... Bottom line, you bought a laptop to play games...booooo. turndown to lowest settings liket his fucker said. Sent from my DROID2 Global using Tapatalk 2
    Im sorry but jokes are meant to be fuuny not rude. I don't care about lowest settings, its a game.....you play the game,not the graphics -.-

12. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Jun 28 2012 16:21:25

GenesisNoir wrote: Im sorry but jokes are meant to be fuuny not rude. I don't care about lowest settings, its a game.....you play the game,not the graphics -.-
    The point is VRAM is pretty much useless. The fact that the guy who made that tutorial uses Limewire, Chrome, and MalwareBytes should be enough to let you know he's retarded.

13. GenesisNoir
    Date: Thu, Jun 28 2012 20:43:18

XYZaki wrote: The point is VRAM is pretty much useless. The fact that the guy who made that tutorial uses Limewire, Chrome, and MalwareBytes should be enough to let you know he's retarded.
    Okay well thanks for letting me know. I was recommending VRAM cause i ignorantly believed it makes any computer faster.

14. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Jun 28 2012 20:54:05

GenesisNoir wrote: Okay well thanks for letting me know. I was recommending VRAM cause i ignorantly believed it makes any computer faster.
    Do you know about the TurboBoost feature in Windows 7? You can connect flash memory via USB and the computer will use it as RAM. Go ahead and connect a 500 GB external hard drive and see what having 500 GB of VRAM is like. [spoiler=.] It's fucking nothing. [/spoiler]

15. GenesisNoir
    Date: Thu, Jun 28 2012 21:44:57

XYZaki wrote: Do you know about the TurboBoost feature in Windows 7? You can connect flash memory via USB and the computer will use it as RAM. Go ahead and connect a 500 GB external hard drive and see what having 500 GB of VRAM is like. [spoiler=.] It's fucking nothing. [/spoiler]
    Wouldn't that damage your external hard drive? I mean 500 gb of VRAM? Ive never heard or tried it before.

16. UEDan
    Date: Thu, Jun 28 2012 23:42:21

I'm the sarcastic asshole of the forum. And not it won't ruin your external harddrive. It'll just creat a huge file that it'll use as vram. But unless you have a lightnig fast raid array vram will just piss you off. Sent from my DROID2 Global using Tapatalk 2

17. GenesisNoir
    Date: Fri, Jun 29 2012 12:53:44

UEDan wrote: I'm the sarcastic asshole of the forum. And not it won't ruin your external harddrive. It'll just creat a huge file that it'll use as vram. But unless you have a lightnig fast raid array vram will just piss you off. Sent from my DROID2 Global using Tapatalk 2
    Okay.