UPSB v4

Off-topic / Vimperator vs. Vrome

1. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Jun 26 2012 04:51:32

Anybody use both browser plugins can share which one is better? I like Chrome so I use Vrome but I feel it's kinda limited in features, like it doesn't support the search engines I created. Vimperator looks good, but I'm too lazy to switch to FF, is it worth it?

2. webspider
    Date: Tue, Jun 26 2012 15:43:05

Real men use w3m to get DAT KEYBINDINGS.

3. taichi1082
    Date: Tue, Jun 26 2012 15:47:14

>2012 >not using links2 botnet thread

4. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jun 27 2012 03:06:46

webspider wrote: Real men use w3m to get DAT KEYBINDINGS.
    is that like the emacs equivalent of vimperator? cuz I prefer emacs style keys
    >2012 >not using links2 botnet thread
    lol i know ppl who still use lynx

5. webspider
    Date: Wed, Jun 27 2012 08:40:00

Not quite, Zombo, heard it's way better than lynx (after all, lynx can't even render tables) and has vim-like bindings, but you can embed it in emacs (and other minimal browsers as well. edit: I think the major problem is that neither Chrome nor Firefox were built with the possibility in mind to be controlled in vim- or emacs-mode. That would explain why these plugins to change their behavior only work out well in theory. If you don't want to go for one of these completely text-based browsers, you could give other webkit-based browsers like jumanji or dwb a try that had these bindings from the beginning on.

6. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jun 27 2012 10:33:43

the reason i need a mouseless browser is because of my laptop, trackpad is not very accurate imo and i use a 11" screen so any savings help. but I don't think you can get rid of mouse completely because of some flash based websites.

7. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Jun 28 2012 12:27:01

right now i've settled on using VimOperate + Opera. Opera is my fav browser and what I use for RSS + Email readers (tried other things, never got used to them). Opera is super customizable so I'm able to get the minimal UI I want and the shortcuts I want. I have a hard time customizing Chrome the way I like it (can't hide address bar, no in-line tabs + app bar, cannot easily change keybindings), and vimperator doesn't even work on the latest ff version lol The main problem with opera is that it doesn't render certain websites very well, so I use Chrome as backup this is what my opera looks like when I press "hit-a-hint" (f)