UPSB v4

Member Introductions / Spinners Greetings~!

1. twirlingDelight
    Date: Wed, Jun 13 2012 12:25:57

Hello, This is my very first post, but I have been reading the forums for a week or so now. I have read a lot of posts about beginners exaggerating that they are epic spinners after barely learning the fundamentals and going on about how PS requires no skill what-so-ever. I'd like to take a minute and say HAH! What bullcrap. I've seen a good amount of videos and I must say, each and every one of you that spin, are just crazy-skilled. I just started spinning a few days ago and can do TA and a fail reverse charge (i seem to do the reverse more naturally for some reason.) Granted, some people are born with something called a natural talent, so to them it may seem like nothing. But to us normal people, it's something we work hard for and enjoy doing in the process. Talent and skill are different. Not everyone is born with a natural ability for something, but those people are the ones who enjoy working hard to increase their abilities at things. At least that's what i think, sorry for rambling. xD P.S: When i'm doing the reverse charge the pen tends to slip/raise to my fingertips... I've tried loosening my fingers like i've read tips around the forums say to do, but then it completely falls... do I just fail or is there an easy way to learn tricks? or do they have to be learned in order or what? ;3 Thanks for the help/info/advice! ~T.D

2. agillitrhiz
    Date: Wed, Jun 13 2012 13:35:02

hi! well,it works loosening fingers,but maybe you have loosened too much,or maybe too little. hope my advice works! Good Luck! here's a video,hope it helps!! (by Ktrinh93) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thXlAkA-9-I

3. Obstracized
    Date: Wed, Jun 13 2012 13:49:42

twirlingDelight wrote: Hello, This is my very first post, but I have been reading the forums for a week or so now. I have read a lot of posts about beginners exaggerating that they are epic spinners after barely learning the fundamentals and going on about how PS requires no skill what-so-ever. I'd like to take a minute and say HAH! What bullcrap. I've seen a good amount of videos and I must say, each and every one of you that spin, are just crazy-skilled. I just started spinning a few days ago and can do TA and a fail reverse charge (i seem to do the reverse more naturally for some reason.) Granted, some people are born with something called a natural talent, so to them it may seem like nothing. But to us normal people, it's something we work hard for and enjoy doing in the process. Talent and skill are different. Not everyone is born with a natural ability for something, but those people are the ones who enjoy working hard to increase their abilities at things. At least that's what i think, sorry for rambling. xD P.S: When i'm doing the reverse charge the pen tends to slip/raise to my fingertips... I've tried loosening my fingers like i've read tips around the forums say to do, but then it completely falls... do I just fail or is there an easy way to learn tricks? or do they have to be learned in order or what? ;3 Thanks for the help/info/advice! ~T.D
    Welcome to UPSB. :) You said it right. Patience, Persistence, and Practice is the Key to being a Successful Pen Spinner, as mentioned by KTrinh93. Keep Spinning and I am sure you will even amaze yourself with what you can do after some time, my friend. :) For your Charge Reverse "Problem", I sincerely apologize as I myself had this problem too, while doing Charge Reverse sometimes. Therefore, I find it a little difficult to do it continuously for a long time.

4. Apocalyptic Shadows
    Date: Wed, Jun 13 2012 13:55:24

@twirlingDelight Hehe I used to have a r problem. I learnt charge reverse first for some reason then I got used to it. I kept trying to do charge continuously until I got it. Usually the trick to learn all tricks is just to keep practicing and then executing the trick over and over again until you get it about 50% of the time. I realised this when I practice twisted sonic double bust. After practicing a lot, I was able to do it many times. The next day, I couldn't.

5. astronaut
    Date: Wed, Jun 13 2012 17:27:50

@twirlingDelight You said that some people are just born being able to do some stuff, but that's sorta wrong. We all learn tricks at different speeds. I think that 99.8% of tricks can be done by anyone with enough practice. But, some people physically/genetically can't do certain tricks. Those are variations that involve individually bending your pinky finger. Some examples are pinky anti-gravity or ring finger busting. Very few people can do that, but some that famous pen spinners that can are S777, Ktrinh93, Spinnerpeem, and Baron. I can too :). So everybody can learn the charge and reverse charge, some people just don't have enough patience.:spin:

6. twirlingDelight
    Date: Wed, Jun 13 2012 17:37:04

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! @epidemic, Yeah I can't seem to get the right feeling of loose-tight...lol. @astro, True, but I was thinking more along the lines of someone who was born with the innate ability. Like someone who's never touched a bowling ball before, watching a game then going out and beating the top bowler in the world. Bad example, i know, but i can't think atm.. lol..sick and resting... Talent? I guess you could call it. Everyone's born with it, just in a different way. =P

7. twirlingDelight
    Date: Wed, Jun 13 2012 17:41:29

Or if any of you are avid anime fans, it'd be easier to say it's like Nanami Yasuri's (Katanagatari) ability to master martial arts just by looking at the person. Her brain is able to comprehend every muscle movement and mimic it... kinda what i was thinking =p

8. Fuse
    Date: Wed, Jun 13 2012 19:18:48

Welcome to UPSB! Glad to see a newcomer who knows what he is talking about (I certainly didn't)!

9. Alex
    Date: Wed, Jun 13 2012 23:36:07

i prefer skill over talent and that used to happen to me to when learning the charge and the rev

10. Alex
    Date: Wed, Jun 13 2012 23:39:44

God Dammit pinky antigravity and ring busting are hello hard!

astronaut wrote: @twirlingDelight You said that some people are just born being able to do some stuff, but that's sorta wrong. We all learn tricks at different speeds. I think that 99.8% of tricks can be done by anyone with enough practice. But, some people physically/genetically can't do certain tricks. Those are variations that involve individually bending your pinky finger. Some examples are pinky anti-gravity or ring finger busting. Very few people can do that, but some that famous pen spinners that can are S777, Ktrinh93, Spinnerpeem, and Baron. I can too :). So everybody can learn the charge and reverse charge, some people just don't have enough patience.:spin:

11. twirlingDelight
    Date: Thu, Jun 14 2012 20:06:17

Update: Just got my metal comssa in the mail.. (Thanks PenWish!) Whoa! It's super light (a lot lighter than I thought it would be) the pens i'm using now are a lot heavier than the comssa, I heard starting off lighter is better, but do you gain more control just by practicing? Does anyone have like....a routine? Eg: Warmup hand exercises (Practice Trick1 5min, Trick2 10min, Etc) or do people just practice one trick until mastered? I tried practicing the charge normal and the pen keeps going WHOOOOSH and flying away (lol.) Too much downward pressure? Not enough muscles in fingers yet? I've been working on some of them from examples i've seen here on the forums. I believe the videos are "Greg Irwin" 's Exercise videos. I have little to no flexibility atm...lol. But yeah... WOW! Super light, but i love the comssa. It seems to be a lot better than what I'm using right now anyway... Since i didn't have any actual parts I just made some real custom ass mods. lol. If anyone's interested i can post some images later. @Alex I prefer skill as well, I like working hard towards something and reaping the rewards that go hand in hand when it comes to completion.

12. Sc00t
    Date: Fri, Jun 15 2012 06:43:02

Wow, i thought -I- was a manga/anime freak.. dat signature

twirlingDelight wrote: Update: Just got my metal comssa in the mail.. (Thanks PenWish!) Whoa! It's super light (a lot lighter than I thought it would be) the pens i'm using now are a lot heavier than the comssa, I heard starting off lighter is better, but do you gain more control just by practicing?
    control comes with time.. the weight of your pen shouldnt matter much but of course ur gonna have less control of a lighter pen if ur used to a heavier one. if u control a light pen well it will be even moreso with a heavy pen thats why some people say practice light
    Does anyone have like....a routine? Eg: Warmup hand exercises (Practice Trick1 5min, Trick2 10min, Etc) or do people just practice one trick until mastered?
    Drop, pick up, drop again, repeat for days or until you stop dropping, occasionally i tug on my fingers to make them crack it loosens them up a little... most PS questions can be answered quite frankly with more practice
    I tried practicing the charge normal and the pen keeps going WHOOOOSH and flying away (lol.) Too much downward pressure?
    yeah too much force, dont think of it as 'releasing' from your thumbflap, more like letting it slide away by opening your hand up
    Not enough muscles in fingers yet?
    shouldnt matter unless your pen is hella heavy, it's more about control than strength
    I've been working on some of them from examples i've seen here on the forums. I believe the videos are "Greg Irwin" 's Exercise videos. I have little to no flexibility atm...lol. But yeah...
    i never did finger exercises... then again after 3 years im still poop
    WOW! Super light, but i love the comssa. It seems to be a lot better than what I'm using right now anyway... Since i didn't have any actual parts I just made some real custom ass mods. lol. If anyone's interested i can post some images later.
    I've had a metal comssa, it was too thin for my tastes but its better than the personal mods u can make in the US in my experiences