UPSB v4

Research Department / History

1. Awesome
    Date: Mon, Jun 4 2012 01:48:10

A post I posted in the pen spinning history thread, I want to use this as an outline for an essay.

I think you could explain most of it by examining the evolution of pen mods and explaining notable spinners. you could use RSVP-> MX -> MX^2 -> buster CYL to demonstrate the trends and mentality that underlines pen spinning; people wanted to be good so they wanted to do harder tricks so they needed heavier and heavier pens until it mutated into sticks for intense power tricks. Mention notable spinners and provide background of the scene to put the mods into context. Old schoolers like Kam and Weis were around the pencil/RSVP era and Kam transitions it into the MX era where tricks are still primitive but combos are starting to take on the modern form, Bonkura would probably be a good canidate for the representation of the MX era. Eriror beating Bonkura in WT 07 represents the MX^2 era coming into fruition where tricks are advanced, technical errors are virtually gone and pen mods are heavily modded and represent "advanced technology". Spinnerpeem in WT 09 is the epitome of the Buster CYL era where the definition of "pen" become blurry and highly difficult tricks dominate. It may be worthwhile to note that the evolution approximates Moore's law until Peem where it levels off (to be better would take longer than the average pen spinning career and hence represents a limit at present.) As pen spinning advanced creativity became less and less important because tutorials for mods and tricks became available ("technology" was discovered and distributed). Eventually technical skill became more and more important cuz teenage guys wanna be the best and win tournaments and WT, not make "art" (the driving force of pen spinning development.) I haven't followed the scene since then so there might be more to bring up to present time, but from what I've seen PS is in a stable state right now.
    I think it would be cool to get the research and flesh it out to be a wiki entry, it would be nice to get someone more knowledgeable to over look my outline and point out stuff that may be important I over looked and to provide information on the spinners and the eras ( I had to look up the years for the WT, I never watched too many videos, so I definitely need help in this regard). @strat1227 and whoever else who could contribute.

2. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Jun 4 2012 01:53:26

@JC

3. Froggy
    Date: Mon, Jun 4 2012 02:34:21

banz used to have this japanese article on penspinning i keep the link and deleted the file thou... and its a megaupload link :facepalm: if someone have access to that article, i know someone that can translate it Frog~

4. Kyoflow
    Date: Mon, Jun 4 2012 08:27:36

lol guys we need @kam

5. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Jun 8 2012 17:40:53

im not too well versed in the evolution of pen modding dr.kt def was important in ps history tho, more than mx^2 imo

6. Iota
    Date: Fri, Jun 8 2012 18:19:16

same, I've only been around for a little under 3 years, so I don't know much, but I DO know that the KT was seriously important. Also important to take note of are the reactions to these sort of innovations or increases in weight (decreases in likeness of a standard pen, you could also say), because there are definitely mixed ones. It seems to me that, unless it's a very gradual increase, the general population of people will fall into the extrema, there isn't really a lot of middleground at first per se. Similarly, it seems like while the more serious, especially WT/WC level spinners, may have mixed feelings too, there's almost a certain level of perceived pressure/need to go to that weight as well in order to keep up with cont. tricks, etc.

7. Froggy
    Date: Mon, Jun 11 2012 01:59:42

I got the japanese article from Banz again. I will get it translated, and upload it here when I can :) Frog~