UPSB v4

Off-topic / Will this monitor work with my PS3 and Hauppauge HD PVR?

1. hawkeye
    Date: Sun, May 27 2012 17:59:29

So I'm looking for a monitor to buy for my gaming setup to use for my PS3 and to record gameplay with Hauppauge HD PVR. I found this monitor, and it seems like the best for me so far http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VW246H/#specifications But I've been looking at setup videos and they say you need component cables for PVR to PS3 AND the TV. I don't see anything about component cable connections on the specifications list for the ASUS VW246H, so I'm currently stuck and don't know what to do anymore. Please help. If you have a solution or an answer to my confusion, or even have another suggestion for a monitor that will work for my PS3 and HD PVR (that's around $200 and 24") then pleeeeease reply. Thanks (im a noob at this kind of stuff)

2. strat1227
    Date: Sun, May 27 2012 18:04:03

You'd have to give me more info about the PS3 and the DVR you have (I don't have either), but I'm pretty sure PS3 has an HDMI output jack, so you could just use HDMI out of your PS3, the split it and send that cable to your monitor and your DVR @Loanshark might be able to help out too

3. hawkeye
    Date: Sun, May 27 2012 18:13:46

Well here's a picture from the Hauppauge website about the basic setup I'm good with the PC part and the component cables for the PS3. I heard that HDMI doesn't work with the HD PVR and you can only use component cables... I'm just worried that the monitor I want doesn't have component cable support/connections/input/whatever you call it...because it doesnt say anything about component cable stuff on the specification list. so yeah. i dont know what more to say

4. iColor
    Date: Sun, May 27 2012 18:19:03

The monitor only supports HDMI input, so you'll need to find another monitor. (Or you could get a HDMI to component cable, but I wouldn't recommend doing that.) And yeah, you'll need 2 component cables. One for the PS3 -> HD PVR, and one for the HD PVR -> TV.

5. strat1227
    Date: Sun, May 27 2012 18:22:01

Yeah you'll be hard-pressed to find a nice 24" with component input for 200 dollars brand new I've bought several monitors used before though, check craigslist in your area, most people selling monitors have no idea of their value and you might get a really really nice one for like 50 bucks, I have before

6. hawkeye
    Date: Sun, May 27 2012 18:24:54

mmkay. Looks like I'll need to find something else, thanks for the help :D

7. strat1227
    Date: Sun, May 27 2012 18:24:57

something like this will probably be your standard price for what you're looking for: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001425 unless you buy used or find a sale, you probably won't get it for 200 bucks

8. nateiskewl
    Date: Sun, May 27 2012 19:29:12

You actually can use an HD PVR with an HDMI setup, but you need a component-to-HDMI pass-through converter box.