UPSB v4

General Discussion / Music Influences Pen Spinning?

1. Eazy
    Date: Sat, May 26 2012 14:34:48

I'm talking about how music influences your spinning, especially when you practice while listening to music. And I'm not talking about practising individual tricks, but more of practising linkages and combos and freestyling. I know some people do not listen to music while spinning, and some people who spin with headphones on, but does it influence the spinning style of the spinner? And if it does (because i think it does), which music will lead to which style of spinning? Personally I listen to loads of different songs, but mostly pop and rock, and a little instrumental. As a result, i found that when i freestyle, my spinning focuses on speed and "aggressive" tricks (like high speed, rapid wipers with tons of hand movement) when listening to rock and fast pop, but more "graceful" tricks (more fingerpasses and wipers with minimal hand movement) while listening to instrumental. And for some reason, when freestyling without music, i tend to do more busts and power tricks =/

2. funnky
    Date: Sat, May 26 2012 16:09:50

dubstep makes u have all hand movement haha

3. MickChickenn
    Date: Sat, May 26 2012 16:15:03

Interesting concept. I will try it out later, and post results.

4. DArKT
    Date: Sat, May 26 2012 18:52:01

wow,thats a nice teory. ill try it out later.

5. ChainBreak
    Date: Sat, May 26 2012 23:31:59

Same story: While listening to music that has a fast and strong rythm I tend to spin more 'violently' as in I go for higher speed and more handmotions, but when I listen to music with slower and softer rythm I tend to spin slower and with more focus on my execution.

6. Miku
    Date: Sun, May 27 2012 00:26:10

listening to music doesn't really affect my spinning unless i want it too =P

7. Reason
    Date: Sun, May 27 2012 00:27:46

yup, pretty much the same for me. when i listen to something calm i tend to try FS more smooth with an elegant style. when i listen to something heavy i go a little more crazy and focus more on difficult linkages/tricks. without music its really "anything goes". i really enjoy spinning to music though. it helps me find a pace and stick with it for a bit.