UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / Insomnia

1. Kyoflow
    Date: Wed, May 23 2012 09:30:54

Anybody else on the forums have severe insomnia? Just wondering if I'm the only one here. I literally lay in bed comfortably and close my eyes, and I don't fall asleep all night. It's been years so I just give up on trying and spend the whole night practicing a new linkage or doing homework or something. Anybody else have this problem? and anybody know what to do? (that doesn't involve sleeping pills)

2. Alvaris
    Date: Wed, May 23 2012 10:24:05

I only have them once in a while during long school holidays as a result of staying up too late and waking up later :/ Hot cup of drink or reading a book should help I guess, at least i did a little for me before o_O

3. Twine
    Date: Wed, May 23 2012 10:45:53

My girlfriend has this. She only gets like 1 to 4 hours sleep each night every night. I'd go insane..... <3 sleep

4. Kyoflow
    Date: Wed, May 23 2012 21:32:44

i understand the pain your girlfriend is going through...@Alvaris that seems to help calm down and relax, but that doesnt seem to be the problem in my case (and twine's girlfriend's case)

5. neXus
    Date: Wed, May 23 2012 22:05:10

Many people will say they do but they really don't. People love to self-diagnose themselves with it.

6. webspider
    Date: Wed, May 23 2012 22:10:48

neXus wrote: People love to self-diagnose themselves with it.
    Yeah, it's way more likely that you have a fucked up sleeping schedule (which may be caused by things as trivial like your eating habits).

7. Kyoflow
    Date: Wed, May 23 2012 22:31:36

I've had this for years now...well its up to you guys to believe what you wish, i would just like to discuss insomnia on this thread, and not misdiagnosis. btw my mom is diagnosed properly and my grandma shows similar symptoms.

8. BeyondEminence
    Date: Wed, May 23 2012 22:36:53

Dude i feel bad for you.... But on an unrelated note in the morning are you like super tired?

9. StachuK1992
    Date: Wed, May 23 2012 22:57:46

I used to get roughly 3 hours of sleep a night due to insomnia and depression; they often go together. You said "no sleeping pills," but after melatonin and bupropion, I sleep a comfortable 6-7 hours like I used to. I usually don't even have to take the melatonin, as bupropion tends to make someone sleepy (take 2 at night). Apart from drugs, the only ways I know that put me to sleep easily is tiring myself out...girlfriend might help you out there...

10. Quake
    Date: Wed, May 23 2012 23:34:21

StachuK1992 wrote: girlfriend might help you out there...
    :trollface: :thumb:

11. King
    Date: Thu, May 24 2012 01:01:28

I havent had legit insomnia, but i have gone weeks with 1-3 hours of sleep a night each day. It sucks.

12. Fuse
    Date: Thu, May 24 2012 01:47:13

Honest question: when do insomniacs sleep?

13. Kyoflow
    Date: Thu, May 24 2012 02:27:41

LOL my girlfriend is leaving for seattle soon D: so there goes that idea :P @Fuse it really depends, sometimes ill just feel fatigued all day and fall asleep during the day, other times ill just very little sleep for a week or 2 then suddenly sleep through the entire night two days in a row. I think i might end up having to try some drugs if it really starts to affect my school work since its getting worse and worse. Thanks for the help guys

14. webspider
    Date: Thu, May 24 2012 02:43:01

What about a glass of red wine? Or fapping for those who don't have girlfriends in their closet?

15. TheAafg
    Date: Thu, May 24 2012 03:36:00

Kyoflow wrote: it really depends, sometimes ill just feel fatigued all day and fall asleep during the day, other times ill just very little sleep for a week or 2 then suddenly sleep through the entire night two days in a row.
    bro I think you might just have a really bad sleeping schedule. I barely sleep during the night (2-4 hours max) and even if I go to bed earlier, I just can't fall asleep cause I am used to that routine. Since you sleep during the day, I am pretty sure that is not insomnia but just a bad sleeping schedule like me. Try not sleeping during the day and going to bed early even if you can't fall asleep. You stated earlier how you pen spin and do your homework at night, quit that and try to go to bed at like 10pm every night and don't fall asleep during the day. The fact that you can sleep 2 nights in a row after a week or two of not getting proper sleep shows that you don't have insomnia but just really bad sleeping habits.

16. Kyoflow
    Date: Thu, May 24 2012 05:21:19

TheAafg wrote: bro I think you might just have a really bad sleeping schedule. I barely sleep during the night (2-4 hours max) and even if I go to bed earlier, I just can't fall asleep cause I am used to that routine. Since you sleep during the day, I am pretty sure that is not insomnia but just a bad sleeping schedule like me. Try not sleeping during the day and going to bed early even if you can't fall asleep. You stated earlier how you pen spin and do your homework at night, quit that and try to go to bed at like 10pm every night and don't fall asleep during the day. The fact that you can sleep 2 nights in a row after a week or two of not getting proper sleep shows that you don't have insomnia but just really bad sleeping habits.
    you realize insomnia doesnt need to be chronic to be real right? I've had this problem for [B]years.[/B] I've tried changing my sleep schedule. it doesnt work.

17. StachuK1992
    Date: Thu, May 24 2012 11:09:57

You might want to look up biphasic and polyphasic sleeping. At the very least, bi- shouldn't be too hard to manage. Also, melatonin is /cheap/ and you can just buy it in a convenience store no-hassle in containers that last a while.

18. juggalo666666
    Date: Fri, May 25 2012 16:07:22

Kyoflow wrote: you realize insomnia doesnt need to be chronic to be real right? I've had this problem for [B]years.[/B] I've tried changing my sleep schedule. it doesnt work.
    Without a doubt true. I take Seroquil to help me sleep, if I don't take it I'm up all night.

19. Kari
    Date: Fri, May 25 2012 16:39:43

Kyoflow wrote: you realize insomnia doesnt need to be chronic to be real right? I've had this problem for [B]years.[/B] I've tried changing my sleep schedule. it doesnt work.
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this... Glass of warm milk before bed. I wouldn't do it but that supposedly helps babies. Why not older people as well...

20. ChainBreak
    Date: Fri, May 25 2012 21:08:33

Ever tried to just do something relaxing before or while going to sleep? Like you probably won't be able to sleep directly after doing sports or watching action movies. The adrenalin in your body will keep your body from falling asleep. I like to do some thinking or some kind of meditation and listen to relaxing music. You can find some relaxing music here. I don't have sleeping problems now though. School work and other stuff keep me so busy that my brain is happy for every second of peace.

21. Soren
    Date: Fri, May 25 2012 21:33:03

Try keeping your body completely still, even if you have an itch or feel that you have to move just keep completely still. Your mind and body shuts down for sleep independently, your mind wants to move to see if the mind is awake or not, if you move then the body will still think that the mind is awake and the body will not shut down for sleep. Warning, using this may lead to sleep paralysis - when the mind is awake but your body can't move. Many have frightful experiences with this, so do this with caution.

22. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, May 25 2012 22:35:44

There's a knack to sleeping, it's making yourself not realize that you're drifting to sleep and to blur it with reality.

23. Vassenato
    Date: Mon, May 28 2012 05:53:15

I don't have insomnia but my sleeping schedule is fucked. Sleep till 3-6 pm - stay up till 8-10 am

24. Surge
    Date: Wed, May 30 2012 00:27:29

Talk to a fucking doctor if the problem is real. Or just smoke a joint about an hour before bed. Oh, and if you do go see a doctor, ask him if he has anything for being an attention whore. That's a much more serious problem than a few sleepless nights.

25. Fuse
    Date: Wed, May 30 2012 00:33:32

Vassenato wrote: I don't have insomnia but my sleeping schedule is fucked. Sleep till 3-6 pm - stay up till 8-10 am
    Do you have school or anything?

26. exclusive
    Date: Tue, Jun 12 2012 15:07:37

Fuse wrote: Do you have school or anything?
    i think hes done with it