UPSB v4

General Discussion / why are MXs popular?

1. RdHg
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 04:35:07

I dont get it. why do people like MXs so much. It only looks good. personally I dont think its that great and i wouldnt recommend it to beginners, cause its back heavy, yet everyone says to start with a MX or comssa. can someone explain this to me? p.s I tried it for one day and I sucked. I mean I suck normally, but it was worse with a MX.

2. Wind
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 04:46:30

It's fun to spin.

3. Matt
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 05:06:20

I think part of the reason people spin a MX is because its hard to tricks... due to mostly it being so off balance, light and small, it makes it harder to do tricks/ combos than other mods. therefore, by preforming a combo with and MX, instead of say a heavy DC mod, you looks more skilled and it raises the difficulty of your combo. And there is also the benefit that it actually looks like a pen...

4. hahakumquat
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 05:09:14

It looks like a pen so you don't look too freakish in public. :D

5. Vassenato
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 05:20:40

Because if you can spin well with an MX, you can spin well with anything It's also very visually appealing and well known. It's also made by kam and if kam makes it, everybody will

6. XYZaki
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 05:40:34

Vassenato wrote: Because if you can spin well with an MX, you can spin well with anything It's also very visually appealing and well known. It's also made by kam and if kam makes it, everybody will
    1. Heavy pens weren't around at the time an MX was made, so there weren't any arguments like that. 2. n/a 3. Not the case with the Impact MX, but yes, in the PDS days, Kam was pretty popular. The MX became popular, because at the time it was made, it fit all the needs of a spinner. (Balance not being one of those needs) It also only requires two pens, with either of the two being easily available. RSVPs are easy to find in North America. HGGs are easy to find in Europe and Asia (and at the time of its creation, North American suppliers also readily stocked HGGs). This is a trait that was unlike other popular mods at the time; comssa's were only found in Korea, PlayColor2's were only found in Japan, etc. Why the MX is popular now is self-explanatory: it became popular in Korea, USA, and Japan...that type of popularity spanning across such a large area isn't easily lost.

7. chris
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 05:48:55

all thoughts are in here: http://www.upsb.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=10747 EDIT: oh, and the combinations of color schemes using one of 26 colors of HGGs and one of the multiple variations and colors of RSVPS, regardless of color scheme...is numerous.

8. Radek
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 06:32:54

I always used a MX so far, and the reasons are : -it's a single cap (double caps looks nothing like a pen, which is the reason I don't like them) -it's the most beautiful and simple (simplicity adds to beauty) single cap around (MX² is almost as beautiful, but it's way too heavy for my little fingers) It has nothing to do with it making things more difficult, for me it's much easier to spin with a MX than anything else, you don't change 5 years of habbits like this. When I try to spin with a MX² or any heavier mod, I fail at everything, this makes things harder for me (which also contradicts the statement that if you can do something with a MX, you can do it with anything).

RdHg wrote: why do people like MXs so much. It only looks good.
    Isn't your goal to make a beautiful, good looking combo when spinning? Or maybe you're just concerned about how many busts you can do... Yeah don't use a MX then.

9. darkinertia
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 06:56:43

when the MX was made the goal wasnt to make some crazy super heavy pen with dumbells on the ends, it was about making a pen that looked fairly inconspicuous and spun to your advantage. back then people cared about making a pen LOOK and ACT like a pen. meaning it had to write, and it had to look like a really nice pen. and when i say pen, i really do mean PEN, not a double capped stick. and at least to me and some other spinners, when you see someone bust out a awesome combo with an MX, you know that they are really good and dont depend on their pen to spin theirselves, so basically the reason why its popular today is cuz if you depend on your pen to spin itself, youll hit a plateau far more easier and often than if you spun an mx, and perhaps worked your way up adding a little weight or making a engo blendo or something

10. Ice Cobra
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 10:37:30

yea i started out making my own MX. i learned all the basics on it and it was sweet. but as i started getting more pens, it got more difficult to spin the MX. i gotta practice w/ it again!

11. EliteN00Bz
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 14:00:07

Customizable, Great looking, easy to mod, like an unmodded pen...

12. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 22:03:12

when u film a video, u want to look good so u take a good looking pen, it doesnt matter that the pen is iddificult to spin.

13. walrus
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 22:25:58

not so hard to make and cuz there are many RSVP's