UPSB v4

Off-topic / Of interest to programmers

1. Advecticity
    Date: Tue, May 8 2012 12:47:53

Did you look at videos of the upcoming Windows 8 yet? If not you should. As you may have noticed, it comes with something radically different from previous versions of windows : the metro interface. You may or may not like it, but there is one MAJOR good thing that comes with it: a centralized app/software (when an app runs of a PC, isn't really a software?) distribution center run by Microsoft. The point is that publishing an app on the Microsoft Store/Marketplace will bring much greater visibility than having a software download link hidden in an obscure website. Basically, if you're into programming, I'd consider getting a head start there: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229512. Just some thoughts I've been having last night.

2. webspider
    Date: Tue, May 8 2012 12:59:10

I will keep scripting on my unixoid operating systems, simply because it's way nicer than having to cope with window's awful programming tools.

3. King
    Date: Tue, May 8 2012 14:03:58

Windows 8s' interface looks silly for anyone who really knows how to computer well :\ But that's just my opinion. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out though.

4. Cubesnail
    Date: Tue, May 8 2012 14:53:05

I've already tried win 8, and it takes quite a bit of time to get used to, but after that, I found it very smooth and fast.

5. Advecticity
    Date: Tue, May 8 2012 16:52:49

Yeah Metro can look weird at first. In fact I'm still not convinced as to how well it will work on the PC. On the phone though, it's no-chrome philosophy allows it rival/surpass anything else in design, so I assume it will be the same for tablets. It's a bit of a stupid reference but take a look at movies with futuristic settings and hologram screens. The Metro design is the closest thing to that. Download Zune if you're not convinced (although while the Zune interface is amazing, its lack of features isn't so it's more of a shiny toy than anything else (again, so is iTunes)).

6. webspider
    Date: Tue, May 8 2012 20:43:28

Advecticity wrote: It's a bit of a stupid reference but take a look at movies with futuristic settings and hologram screens. The Metro design is the closest thing to that.
    I'm really sorry to rain on your parade, but all the stuff people fake in movies is usually displayed via unixoid boxes because of their flexibility when it comes to customization. So much about being close and futuristic and whatever the fuck.

7. Advecticity
    Date: Tue, May 8 2012 22:55:16

I use Linux for programming at work and I couldn't agree with you more that it's far superior in terms of flexibility and customization. As for what movie makers actually use - whether it's Linux type things or just random stuff made inside a 3D graphics engine with no code underneath it - I have no clue, but I know it's not Windows for sure. Like hell why would anyone bother using Windows for that. I love how you think about this from a programmer's perspective :). Flexibility, customization and stuff. That's the first thing that comes to my mind when I see this stuff too. However, all I'm talking about is design here so please don't get all antagonistic over me because I'm bring up some good points about the metro looks (heck, even Steve Wozniak did). I'll choose Linux any day when I'm in a hacker mood. However, the reason for me posting this is because 1) I don't believe that there's anything comparable to Visual Studio that can make nice looking interfaces as easily for beginners. I'm posting this on UPSB after all. It seems that you're an advanced programmer - probably more than I am so you aren't really my target audience here. And 2), whether you like Microsoft or not, making apps on it will allow you far more visibility than any system except for Mac. For the same reason people make apps on the IPhone whether they like objective-c or not, there's huge opportunities on learning how to make app/softwares on Windows 8. You might have a counterexample for my first point, but understand that my point is just to give some people motivation to get started on some projects.

8. webspider
    Date: Tue, May 8 2012 23:46:25

Of course I do think about it from the programmers perspective. After all I could end up having to code things using their SDK. But I wouldn't do it for any other reason than improving my box. Yes, I believe you that the tools make it easy to design interfaces (after all they pulled it off successfully with VB6 in the 90ies) and that it attracts developers to potentially get that many customers (and even make money from that). But if they happen to have as shitty policies as apple with its apps, it won't nearly be as good as the guys anticipating it promise. On a side note I really hope neither Windows nor OS X (after all I'm working with a mbp for now) will lock out anything outside their app stores they haven't signed. Else I will need to switch over to linux earlier than expected. I generally dislike the direction from both of these companies (and not only them) to simplify things and drop support for the power users. It better be just a temporary trend computers are taking ._.

9. XYZaki
    Date: Wed, May 9 2012 00:32:06

In case you are too autistic to notice, every other windows version is good... 98, XP, 7 (95, Me, and Vista were terrible) I don't know why people bother with 8.

10. Advecticity
    Date: Wed, May 9 2012 00:47:50

Hahaha true, if we follow the trend we should skip the W8 (kinda like the star trek movies). I think that the software ecosystem on Windows is just too large and important for Microsoft to dismiss. Their constant desire for backwards compatibility should be a proof of that. But like you, I really hope that's not just my wishful thinking...

11. juggalo666666
    Date: Wed, May 9 2012 18:35:00

webspider wrote: I will keep scripting on my unixoid operating systems, simply because it's way nicer than having to cope with window's awful programming tools.