UPSB v4

General Discussion / First Ep TEK Talks- Pens vs. Sticks :)

1. TEK
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 02:20:33

[video=youtube;5Pa1o7waeZk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pa1o7waeZk[/video]

2. That Guy
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 02:25:38

You look blown :D

3. Kirby
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 03:42:26

Thanks for the update. I really enjoyed the show, bummer to see it end. Twas entertaining while it lasted. I'm definitely looking forward to your opinions on issues and the new segment all together.

4. Vaan
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 05:39:32

LiveTyping.com

5. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 10:17:26

nice stuff TEK, are the issues discussed mostly about mods?

6. TEK
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 01:31:19

Zombo wrote: nice stuff TEK, are the issues discussed mostly about mods?
    Not at all, it will be on anything pen spinning. I welcome any issues you guys would like me to address. Just send me a pm :)

7. Hippo2626
    Date: Fri, Aug 6 2010 03:56:45

Perhaps you could discuss about the naming system. Whether we should use a standard formal organised system or use the whatever we're using now. Like the spiderspin or the ayatori trick. stuff like that.

8. KTrinh93
    Date: Fri, Aug 6 2010 16:09:02

i was gonna say to settle the ongoing dispute about whats an ext ta, fake double, or tornado bc people still dont seem to get the difference sometimes.. maybe the people will listen to you ;)

9. IllDepence
    Date: Sat, Aug 7 2010 12:53:57

Philosophical questions like 'what actually is a pen' and such would be awesome to discuss. Looking forward to seeing such stuff. ; )

10. neoknux_009
    Date: Sun, Aug 8 2010 00:25:28

i think a good theme would be the future of pen spinning. Whats happenin, and is the direction we are taking good? like the power trick direction vs the old school direction or the combination of the 2? are the power trick spinners neglecting real linkages or are the old school spinners stuck in the past? i still think you should have guest speakers like on skype discussing about this..maybe for like a min or 2. perhaps similar to a radio host on a certain topic. would be nice to hear opinions from other spinners.

11. TEK
    Date: Wed, Aug 11 2010 04:19:50

First ep is out :)

12. Nachoaddict
    Date: Fri, Aug 20 2010 05:48:27

My response: ^^ Also I think tek's talk vids deserve a place in the research department wiki area Oh and this is something unfolded in the sb that serves as evidence for one of my points in the vid.

Spoiler[B] [COLOR="red"]Buster Lover[/COLOR] [COLOR="cyan"]Backlash[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR="red"]Jan 46 Minutes Ago 02:22 PM buster CYL is like the best mod =D[/COLOR] [COLOR="cyan"]KTrinh93 46 Minutes Ago 02:22 PM for a 6 month spinner? ya dont think so[/COLOR] [COLOR="cyan"]Ricercar 37 Minutes Ago 02:27 PM jan busters are abso9lute crap[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"] Jan 37 Minutes Ago 02:28 PM and buster r awesome [/COLOR] [COLOR="cyan"]KTrinh93 37 Minutes Ago 02:28 PM ur less than a yr in spinning exp.. shouldnt be using a buster until after 1 yr imo[/COLOR] [COLOR="cyan"]ReM0RsE 36 Minutes Ago 02:29 PM Shouldn't be using a buster at all imo ^^" *Looks nervously at KTrinh's angry face*[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"] Jan 35 Minutes Ago 02:30 PM what pen do u prefer then?[/COLOR] [COLOR="cyan"] Ricercar 31 Minutes Ago 02:31 PM busters suck deer balls[/COLOR] Nachoaddict 31 Minutes Ago 02:31 PM thanks guys :)
    So you see Jan is quite new to penspinning but has already picked up the buster. He is praising it which incites a backlash among KTrinh, Remorse, and most of all Ricercar. Although I believe that they should have been a bit more tolerant of the spinner, newcomers should at least try not to glorify one mod like this. We should let the spinner know that they might want to try out other mods and etc the first time around. Unfortunately this was not the first time Jan did this.

13. CrackerJack
    Date: Mon, Aug 23 2010 22:28:27

my opinion: Busters are not pens, theyre pen mods. Pest pen mod: Crackerjack SC :jk: But really it does depend on one's preference, but i agree that noobs shouldnt touch a buster until they get good.

14. Mage In Black
    Date: Tue, Aug 24 2010 21:59:27

I'd love to see we a discussion about the current naming system. There are obvious flaws and issues that have derived from it. Here are a few: -Incorrect nomenclature. Like a rumor, it catches on very quickly and in just a matter of moments we have people coming up with strange names like skip moonwalk doubledip backaround for something as simple as a fingerless around reverse 12-23. -Each board follows their own nomenclature. One can argue that, well, every board also has their own language, so why can't they all have their own system of naming things? The problem is, all the boards influence one another. Pen spinning is an international event and there is a mixing of spinners from across the world and what happens is we borrow each others' naming for certain tricks when it conflicts with the board's already established naming system. -There is no main or "go to" naming system. One person calls it a fingerless skip around. The other calls it a cream cheese spread 22331155. It's hard to discern who is right when there isn't a "right way," because everyone's way of interpreting is a "right way." It's just a different way of saying the same thing--like a synonym. -Should there be a change in the naming system or keep it as it is? Should we change it slowly, bit by bit? Should we only fix the flaws and do nothing about it? If so, how would we go about doing so? Should we aim for a revolution, a complete overhaul of the current naming system? Should we unite all the boards under one naming system? -Is it worth all the work?