UPSB v4

Off-topic / for all singaporeans

1. SJ
    Date: Mon, May 7 2012 09:31:09

hows singapore from a natives point of view? nice to live? school? people? cost of living? food? has anyone of you heard of SIM? please share some thoughts since i MIGHT go there soon thanks

2. MrCraziBaby
    Date: Mon, May 7 2012 09:47:22

I guess most Singaporeans like Singapore. We've convenient transport, good food (might need some getting used to), accessible amenities, generally fine weather etc. As a local, I actually don't see much to complain about in Singapore ^^ If you're asking about SIM I guess you're talking about tertiary education? I'm not there yet so maybe I can't offer much, but Singaporean students are generally not the most outspoken. I believe we're very sociable though ^^ Some locals are rather xenophobic, but yea that's due to other daily issues, so I think it doesn't really apply to students ^^ But some locals also love being citizen reporters or are just plain busybodies, snapping pictures of others' behaviors. Might wanna be wary of that :/ Cost of living in Singapore is high I'd say. Meals in public can be as low as 4-5 dollars, at hawker centres, or higher if you're in town. There nightlife in Singapore is congregated only a few areas and yea they're expensive places, so at night there isn't much to do I guess.

3. Eternity
    Date: Mon, May 7 2012 10:45:22

Oh SIM! :D My dad took his Masters there. It's not really one of the top, but it's quite good. Singapore food is pretty flavourful, and some of which is quite spicy, but not that different from Korean food, I guess. There are many places to eat, so just ask any SG-spinner and they'll tell you. :) (note: if you dine at hawker centres, be prepared to encounter at least one elderly stallowner who can't speak English very well / at all) The people in general don't talk a lot, but making friends in schools shouldn't be too difficult. They'll be willing to help if you ask them for anything, so don't be afraid to approach any person on the street for directions. Also, the public transport system is pretty developed (you can get anywhere by taking a bus or train XD). The main thing in Singapore is that the weather is pretty temperamental. :/ it's either very very hot when it's not raining (and humid too), or pretty cold (when it's raining very badly). Also, monsoon season is around December-February, and the rain, it raineth everyday during those times. XD

4. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, May 7 2012 12:38:56

hows singapore from a natives point of view? It's kinda' hard to voice my true opinion about Singapore 'cause if I do, I might get shot. :troll: Srsly though, sometimes I do feel that way about my country. As a whole, it's a great country; freaking safe everywhere you go, amazing food, convenient to go anywhere, a lot of greenery in concrete jungle, good "stable" weather compared to the seasonal weather (though it just rains of shines here so its either hot or humid -_-.) etc However the living condition is quite unhealthy overall since the lifestyle here is very rushed. Everything has to be super fast and work and studying usually takes credence over a lot of other things like family even... -_- I have a lot more opinions on Singaporean but if you're really interested pm me or something and I can share with you all the info you wanna know about my opinions and things about sg in general :) nice to live? decent place to live, very safe and clean. school? school is hell here. Its ranked like no 2 in the world so it's damn hard but uni is a little different though people? singaporens are quite unique. Generally they are kinda rude if they dont know you though cost of living? okay i guess. Its cheaper than us iirc but property here is damn expensive since its such a small country food? amazing. srsly the best in the world has anyone of you heard of SIM? In Singapore there are these 3 godlike universities and SIM is not one of those names. The other local universities are pretty recognised worldwide but here we always classify SIM as a last hope to get into uni. Its one of those unis where if you wanna' enter, all you need is money and your grades all looks like straight A's. I've never heard about how this uni racks up compared to the all the other uni's in the world though. Again fee free to contant me if you wanna find out more

5. Zombo
    Date: Mon, May 7 2012 13:30:41

hard time believing singapore has top education, only nus is ranked top 100

6. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, May 7 2012 14:00:01

apparently in some primary to secondary education (and preuni i think) levels its ranks 2nd

7. Zombo
    Date: Mon, May 7 2012 18:10:10

Hippo2626 wrote: apparently in some primary to secondary education (and preuni i think) levels its ranks 2nd
    sj is going to university

8. PenwisH
    Date: Mon, May 7 2012 19:47:48

I'll respond shortly. Majority of my asian friends in college were from SG. Colleges there are meh. Secondary school is excellent. But i'll continue later when i got more time

9. Froggy
    Date: Wed, May 9 2012 01:08:30

So.. Does SG have cheap unlimited internet, similar to Hong Kong? :D Frog~

10. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, May 9 2012 01:33:41

Froggy wrote: So.. Does SG have cheap unlimited internet, similar to Hong Kong? :D Frog~
    Nope :-(

11. Froggy
    Date: Wed, May 9 2012 07:04:39

Nope as in... No cheap internet? No unlimited internet? OR No cheap AND unlimited internet? TT__TT I'm in tears now. TT____TT Frog~

Hippo2626 wrote: Nope :-(

12. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, May 9 2012 07:20:27

look at me being stupid >< there is unlimited internet not sure if it's cheap though 56sgd for fibre optics

13. SJ
    Date: Wed, May 9 2012 09:42:24

so how exactly hot is it during summer? insanely humid? can someone not from singapore give me some insight about the country too please? and @PenwisH please continue

14. Xitra
    Date: Thu, May 10 2012 07:21:25

Not much to complain about singapore. Well, if you are coming to singapore, schools are probably less stressful than korea.And btw.Singapore is a bit different from korea.Its summer almost everyday cos singapore is in the equator.Obviously, no snowing.

15. Krypton
    Date: Thu, May 10 2012 09:26:41

Singapore is a great place, if you're not racist.

16. Mattadome
    Date: Thu, May 10 2012 12:39:18

SJ wrote: so how exactly hot is it during summer? insanely humid? can someone not from singapore give me some insight about the country too please?
    Everyday is summer.