UPSB v4

Regular Pen Discussion / Pens that AREN'T Airplane Safe

1. hahakumquat
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 00:20:27

Anyone know how to tell if a pen's ink is going to explode in high altitude? If not, name some pens you know for a fact are plane safe/not safe. EDIT: As in, the ink starts to leak out of the inktube profusely. Not to be confused with a literal explosion (not all people who carry pens are terrorists..)

2. Kirby
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 00:40:48

No, it doesn't explode. this is a joke right? Also every pen is safe on a plane. :facepalm:

3. CrackerJack
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 01:08:37

what the hell? how would ink be explosive?

4. Colin
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 01:14:34

fuck it.

5. Pen Ninja
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 01:18:43

eh, both of you fail... as far as i can tell... from what little physics i remember: the air up high, outside the airplane is less dense than the the air on the ground... i know they do try to pressurize the inside of a plane a little but its not perfect... if you get a little air bubble in the ink of ur pen, itll be as dense as the air on the ground... because of the difference in pressure, the air bubbles is pushed towards the outside air taking some ink with it... leaving ink and shit all through your bag, ur pen has "exploded"... without the flame and destruction that crackerjack and kirby were expecting... again my physics is rusty but thats the gist i think so ide probably just avoid taking pens where the ink isnt constant... so look at the inktube, if the line of ink isnt solid then i dno or... "what colin said"

6. Dudak
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 01:23:34

Uni-ball has a whole bunch of pens that the packaging advertises as "airplane safe" I also had an RSVP explode when I brought it on a plane, so you might want to avoid that.

7. hahakumquat
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 02:28:59

er i meant the ink would start leaking >.> And yes, Pen Ninja. Your physics hasn't failed you lol. Didn't think I'd need to have to get so specific about it though. Do hyper jells/g3s/etc have the potential to leak? lol i saw those signo tags in stores too

8. davidguy
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 02:42:25

just keep your pens in a bag if you're worried it'll leak

9. Ktk
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 02:44:54

Each pen in their own bag in a bigger bag then; if one explodes and all your pens are in there, that's no good.

10. JMember
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 03:02:12

It won't explode, unless the ink tube itself is closed. Much of the MXs I've owned died due to leaks. This happened basically because they weren't closed ink tubes. And, one of my MXs ink tube actually lasted 1 year, without any leaks, but this one was closed. So, for MXs, consider if your inktube is/isn't closed.

11. Kirby
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 03:22:19

My mom travels every week for work, and she takes her purse on the plane with her. It has 20 plus various pens, and the ink has never exploded or leaked in any of them. I don't think the slight off set of pressure between the cabin and the ground would be enough for this bubble to be pushed to the top or whatever.

12. Pen Ninja
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 03:27:08

not the bubble and the ground, the bubble and the pressure in the air

13. Kirby
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 03:34:51

Yah but I'm saying that pressure in the cabin isn't different enough from ground to make the bubble leak or whatever. I might not be getting what you're saying, but I don't wanna argue. I disagree and I'll leave it at that.

14. CrackerJack
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 04:16:18

Colin wrote: ink isnt explosive, smart guy. its the change in altitute/the pressure changes that causes it to "explode"
    Wtf? i just said it's not explosive.....? and if by "explode" you mean a change in altitude/pressure causes it to leak, then i agree. But the guy who started the thread never used the word "leak". he only said "explode". which suggests fire and destruction.

15. chris
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 06:19:25

other than ink tube problems, I don't recommend Dr. Grip tipped mods for obvious reasons <_< unless your pro enough. :P

16. hahakumquat
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 07:21:37

CrackerJack wrote: Wtf? i just said it's not explosive.....? and if by "explode" you mean a change in altitude/pressure causes it to leak, then i agree. But the guy who started the thread never used the word "leak". he only said "explode". which suggests fire and destruction.
    thanks for referring to me as "the guy" lol. lovin that. And the ink would burst out, I found several RSVP caps drenched in ink. Explosions are violent bursts. It's all relative as to what you'd call violent and bursts XD But enough with these formalities. I think most everyone who has read through this understands the idea I was suggesting.

17. Loanshark
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 13:01:19

Pens at high altitude on a plane have the same chances of leaking as pens at sea level.

18. Vassenato
    Date: Mon, Aug 2 2010 19:38:31

Unless you have a fountian pen in an unpressurized cabin, the likelyhood of a pen leaking/exploding is slim

19. bubbles
    Date: Fri, Aug 13 2010 00:10:58

take out all the ink, put them in a separate bag?, or tub, or thing. this way ur PEN doesnnt get messed just u cant write with it if the ink explodes (ZOMG) :P

20. blahblahting
    Date: Fri, Aug 13 2010 04:05:21

i flew over to DC yesterday and i had a g3 and two signo dx's in my backpack. it was fine

21. sarugio
    Date: Fri, Aug 13 2010 06:57:14

yeah sometimes i think like that but it never happen to me and also u don't kill people with ink burst-________-. maybe dr kt is ilegal on plane because you can stab people with the tips and kill em-_______-.

22. chris
    Date: Fri, Aug 13 2010 07:58:33

i flew from China to Manila with a tipless emboss DC. it was fine. ^^ OT: also, for MXs, idk if this works, but to at least lessen the probability of ink bursts, I put a toothpick (at the right length) into the open side of the inktube. haven't tried this one on a plane though -.-

23. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sun, Aug 15 2010 17:46:32

If theyre in your carry on it should be fine because the cabin is pressureized. as for other luggage that goes in the bottom of the plane I am not sure

24. patelpb
    Date: Tue, Aug 24 2010 01:10:23

haaaaaaaaaahahahaha