UPSB v4

Off-topic / Rate my Symphony?

1. iColor
    Date: Sat, Apr 28 2012 19:34:59

I'm part of my school's symphony orchestra, and we are playing in the state competitions. This year has been a particularly bad one, as we have a new conductor to replace our retiring conductor, who has been amazing over the years. I just wanted to see what you think of us at the moment. Our competition is May 11th. :p http://soundcloud.com/andrew-vy/celebration-fanfare http://soundcloud.com/andrew-vy/tchaikovsky-4th-movement

2. Sc00t
    Date: Sat, Apr 28 2012 19:46:25

Beautiful. the beginning had my penis surging upwards towards the ceiling, in fact, it hit the ceiling, bent like a pool noodle and nudged me in the back of the head. then when 0:33 hit, i could feel my balls twitching in tune with the music. i thought to myself, this can't possibly be made by school students. this genital twitching continued for some time, but by 2:40 i was already plastering my room in man juices unable to contain it. in a post-gasm daze, my mouse drifted to where my mind told me the download button would be, only to be met with the blank stare of the gray soundcloud border. I was confused. Anger surged through me and slowly stirred me from my afterglow. How is it that this masterpiece is not available for download? I grabbed my cat, who had been sleeping on the bed next to my desk but was now completely covered in semen, and tossed it through my drywall. It made a satisfying crunch as it was crushed against the support beam on the other side of my wall, and fragments of cat and drywall trickled down to the carpet below. you deserve to win for sure bro

3. Fryuo
    Date: Sat, Apr 28 2012 20:03:44

@iColor sounds too good to be made by u :P pretty good tho

4. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Apr 28 2012 20:25:10

Sc00t wrote: Beautiful. the beginning had my penis surging upwards towards the ceiling, in fact, it hit the ceiling, bent like a pool noodle and nudged me in the back of the head. then when 0:33 hit, i could feel my balls twitching in tune with the music. i thought to myself, this can't possibly be made by school students. this genital twitching continued for some time, but by 2:40 i was already plastering my room in man juices unable to contain it. in a post-gasm daze, my mouse drifted to where my mind told me the download button would be, only to be met with the blank stare of the gray soundcloud border. I was confused. Anger surged through me and slowly stirred me from my afterglow. How is it that this masterpiece is not available for download? I grabbed my cat, who had been sleeping on the bed next to my desk but was now completely covered in semen, and tossed it through my drywall. It made a satisfying crunch as it was crushed against the support beam on the other side of my wall, and fragments of cat and drywall trickled down to the carpet below. you deserve to win for sure bro

5. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Sat, Apr 28 2012 22:34:20

why you so talented?? iColor?

6. iColor
    Date: Sat, Apr 28 2012 23:01:08

GeeGeeGee wrote: why you so talented?? iColor?
    Thanks, but I'm only one of the many other players in the symphony, haha. =p

7. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Sun, Apr 29 2012 00:31:36

Edit: This is for the Celebration Fanfare in just the first 37 seconds: Woodwind runs are out of tune Trumpets/brass entrance don't know balance; overpower the woodwinds until unnoticeable (can't hear ANY part of the trills) Brass players tongue too hard or don't know how to properly articulate (I heard painful and stressed attacks by some trumpet) Sloppy brass at certain sections, but not noticeable The french horn(s) were/are good and in time, clear and clean The string parts were also clean and in tune later on: The first crescendo sounded weak, but the sforzando was nice Sorry if I seem to picky at the weak spots, but its hard for me to not notice the small things. The ending was clean, but the cymbal could be dampened quicker. Overall, about 8.9/10. The music is played well, its just the small little things that could be worked on, and it would be amazing. Tchaikovsky 4th Movement: Slight tuning issues in the strings Slight tuning issue with the trumpet, on the decrescendo of the solo Slight tuning issues with the trumpets before the quiet and slow part Good french horn player as before Uneven timpani rolls Appears to be something weird with string tuning later on Oboe out of tune Bad french horn "run" Violins out of tune at two parts Violins should work on the runs they sound NASTY, but I'm not sure if its supposed to sound weird like that The brass + timpani "fanfare" was good I stopped at 7:08 on this, and it sounded well for the most part. 9/10 But the violins should work on playing more accurately, I hear some notes in the quick runs that don't fit.

8. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Apr 29 2012 00:38:37

I can only judge the Tchaikovsky 5th symph, don't know the other piece I like the opening theme to sound more majestic with accentuated phrases, this was a bit soft imo. there were some passages where the counterpoint overpowered the lead -> in general strings should be louder than brass overall not enough dynamics, some parts should be much louder, its the finale after all. tchaikovsky is like the master of cheese, you gotta play his stuff super flamboyant. should also be a tad faster. also one trumpet seems flat? the tuning at the end of the mvmt is out of whack at the recapitulation at 10:30, it shuold be way more accentuated, sweeping, emotional. tchaikovsky finale should make you soar not enough power in the ending pretty good tho

9. iColor
    Date: Sun, Apr 29 2012 00:50:00

MightAsWellGG;195508]Edit: This is for the Celebration Fanfare in just the first 37 seconds: Woodwind runs are out of tune Trumpets/brass entrance don't know balance; overpower the woodwinds until unnoticeable (can't hear ANY part of the trills) Brass players tongue too hard or don't know how to properly articulate (I heard painful and stressed attacks by some trumpet) Sloppy brass at certain sections, but not noticeable The french horn(s) were/are good and in time, clear and clean The string parts were also clean and in tune later on: The first crescendo sounded weak, but the sforzando was nice Sorry if I seem to picky at the weak spots, but its hard for me to not notice the small things. The ending was clean, but the cymbal could be dampened quicker. Overall, about 8.9/10. The music is played well, its just the small little things that could be worked on, and it would be amazing. Tchaikovsky 4th Movement: Slight tuning issues in the strings Slight tuning issue with the trumpet, on the decrescendo of the solo Slight tuning issues with the trumpets before the quiet and slow part Good french horn player as before Uneven timpani rolls Appears to be something weird with string tuning later on Oboe out of tune Bad french horn "run" Violins out of tune at two parts Violins should work on the runs they sound NASTY, but I'm not sure if its supposed to sound weird like that The brass + timpani "fanfare" was good I stopped at 7:08 on this, and it sounded well for the most part. 9/10 But the violins should work on playing more accurately, I hear some notes in the quick runs that don't fit.[/QUOTE] Specific answers, lol. I appreciate the analysis, and I'll forward it to our conductor. (He's pretty much a band guy, rather than a strings guy.) [QUOTE=Zombo wrote: I can only judge the Tchaikovsky 5th symph, don't know the other piece I like the opening theme to sound more majestic with accentuated phrases, this was a bit soft imo. there were some passages where the counterpoint overpowered the lead overall not enough dynamics, some parts should be much louder, its the finale after all. tchaikovsky is like the master of cheese, you gotta play his stuff super flamboyant. should also be a tad faster. at the recapitulation at 10:30, it shuold be way more accentuated, sweeping, emotional. tchaikovsky finale should make you soar pretty good tho
    This clears up my doubts, I knew the dynamics were lacking, but it's pretty hard to hear when you're in the middle of the orchestra. Thanks for the in-depth analysis. I'll forward it to the conductor.

10. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Apr 29 2012 00:51:50

dat trumpet at the end lolol

11. Tentcell
    Date: Sun, Apr 29 2012 03:18:57

In Tchaikovsky 5th symph, that oboe could use a new reed, or a decent reed trim. Oboe should come out maybe a little bit more @ 3:50. Pretty well done piece though.

12. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Sun, Apr 29 2012 18:58:01

If your conductor has time, he could have your students do exercises to listen to eachother's pitch (like everyone plays the same note, until it is all in tune, just by listening to the sounds). I had lots of "fun" with this exercise in my band :(

13. boshi
    Date: Sun, Apr 29 2012 20:29:28

Just some quick thoughts, nothing too in depth: Winds' intonation was rather distracting, like someone said above, have the conductor work on tuning them if possible. Wins' definitely need work on balance, I'm not sure if it's because you guys have few wind players, but i feel like it's always one or 2 hero players dominating. Actually perhaps, the entire symphony could work a little more on balance. It sounds like a group of about 20 musicians playing. Again, i'm not sure if this is balance/outplaying one another, or if you guys really only have like 20 people :p. Uhh, dynamics of course can always be more contrasting. It sounded quite hollow throughout the whole piece, maybe have the 1sts play softer, work on crescendoing more as an ensemble. Nothing bothered me that much in terms of technicality, i think there may have been a few sloppy trumpet runs that stuck out, but nothing major. Ya. Balance and more dynamics. :)