UPSB v4

Board Comments / A thread to stop the repeat threads?

1. Fuse
    Date: Thu, Apr 26 2012 19:26:16

I think this board needs a new thread called "Is this thread already made?" or something along those lines. Everyday, I see threads that have already been made, a few people commenting on how dumb/ignorant the OP is, and a mod closing the thread. If we had a thread where you could ask about different threads, it would reduce the amount of useless posts in this forum. Now I know that the searchbar can be used, but it isn't always accurate (A search of "present one's mods" may not reveal that there is a thread called "show off your pens" that does the same thing). Also, new members don't always search before they post, I know i've been guilty of it. I hope this thread isn't already made...

2. Tetsip
    Date: Thu, Apr 26 2012 20:24:30

unpractical. I ain't going to search through a thread just to see if a thread has been made. People need to look first before they fucking create a shit thread. Don't use searchbar, go through each page. if you pass like 4 pages then make a new one. Simple as that.

3. Fuse
    Date: Thu, Apr 26 2012 20:29:28

Time spent posting on a thread to see if a thread has been made

4. Tetsip
    Date: Thu, Apr 26 2012 20:46:36

i just searched through four pages worth of stuff that is IN THE RIGHT SECTION. took me 1~2 minutes. clearly, too much time.

5. JackyMacky
    Date: Thu, Apr 26 2012 22:33:34

This thread is a perfect example.

6. Fuse
    Date: Thu, Apr 26 2012 23:16:36

JackyMacky wrote: This thread is a perfect example.
    ...How so?

7. JackyMacky
    Date: Thu, Apr 26 2012 23:45:53

@Fuse New members may have to search this thread instead, how will they know if THIS thread even exists, most new members tend to post without even searching in the first place/or even search enough, titles of certain thread may not match the members' diction which makes new members feel that there's a need for a new thread (for example: posting combos in a new thread when there's already a thread for Show Off Your Combos. Posting a new trick when there's already a section for verification. In some cases, they're that stupid. Even I experience this too.), as you said searching such threads may require EXACT diction, threads maybe be too old to be even searched up, UPSB's search engine sucks (but this problem is fixed if you use Google, no offense UPSB.....) This is from what I experienced and observed at UPSB. The posting of new thread by new members can't be prevented, especially when they are foreigners--no offense to the foreigners..... Again, I must refer back to the point of how will new members know this thread exists? I mean, you could have the moderators place it in the SB or make this another section. Some may even overlook this thread when it's obviously right in their faces. Also, its just even more clutter for the forum. :/ Sorry for the long paragraph.... Lol.

8. Fuse
    Date: Thu, Apr 26 2012 23:55:17

I see what you mean. This was just an idea I came up with. EDIT: Or maybe make it a sticky for new members only...?

9. Froggy
    Date: Fri, Apr 27 2012 02:25:21

1) Post it in the correct subforum: [B]Board Comments[/B] 2) For a "Is this thread already made?" or similar type of threads, it requires OP to CONSTANTLY update the first post with new information. How many threads do you think is made everyday, that is if OP can maintain it EVERYDAY. 3) New members don't search for posts before making threads. So what makes them go to the thread and "search" if a thread is made or not? 4) Board rules are stickied... not sure how many "new members" actually read it. Also, the button for "Post New Topic" is way more obvious than a stickied thread with the name "Is this thread already made?" I'm sorry bro, but it won't work. This is why there are moderators. Frog~

10. Fuse
    Date: Fri, Apr 27 2012 20:28:57

I didn't mean to have a list of every thread, just a thread where you can post "hey, is there a thread on ______" and then someone can reply. I see your point though.

11. Hippo2626
    Date: Fri, Apr 27 2012 23:49:38

The new users need to learn how to use the search feature themselves. Plus this thread might just give spammers another way to raise their post count

12. Dimension
    Date: Sun, Apr 29 2012 13:32:26

It's a good idea but in the end this thread will probably become one of those closed threads with only a few posts on it lol. Plus new members won't know where to find this thread