UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / Modding ( To continue or to Stop)

1. Jo
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 16:54:46

hey guys, i once bought about 100$ worth of materials to mod a few mods.. about 7 dr grips O_O. and I tried modding some mods, almost ALL of the mods i attempt to mod FAILED. main reason of failing: (i)Grips not cut Straight ( its like a blind person cutting a grip) and yes i've done researches on technics on cutting grips and i used the right tool: X- Acto knife. (ii) Lets say for stuhl mod, When i placed in the HGG grip til the comssa cap, the grip is already like Half wrecked. ( the grip has holes due to the force putting them in) (iii) i DONT have patience in modding, Im rush to know How does the mod spins , how is my result of Modding (iv)SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. [B]so the question is, Should i STOP modding and Buy mods from others OR should i just give myself another chance? i felt VERY broken hearted because i wasted like 6 Dr grips.. and some other materials.. its like a nightmare for me. [/B] Side note: In school, theres a lesson doing stuff like Cutting woods, technic drawing, making a book stand out of woods, creating a Electronic board thingy so that the LED can light up.. and im [B]BAD[/B] on those stuff.. MOST OF the time i asked my friend to help me or i would buy from other ppl ( the project that has been done perfectly by other people). :@

2. Syrti
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 17:19:02

Jo wrote: (iii) i DONT have patience in modding, Im rush to know How does the mod spins , how is my result of Modding
    And THAT is the key-problem. If you want to have a clean mod you have to take the time to mod it! I know examples of spinners cutting the grip with scissor's because they want the mod to eb done -> veeeery bad! When I cut a simple to cut grip like a Sailor I still take ~1 minute per ring! From your other examples from school it seems that you just aren't a person who has fine motor skills. You either can try to mod a simple pen and take your time (and maybe cheap no-name materials to train!) and see if you can do better when you stay patient, or you stop modding! No offense but someone who destroys materials by rushing is not worth to be called modder. Modding is art!

3. sopi
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 17:21:07

Syrti wrote: And THAT is the key-problem. If you want to have a clean mod you have to take the time to mod it! I know examples of spinners cutting the grip with scissor's because they want the mod to eb done -> veeeery bad! When I cut a simple to cut grip like a Sailor I still take ~1 minute per ring! From your other examples from school it seems that you just aren't a person who has fine motor skills. You either can try to mod a simple pen and take your time (and maybe cheap no-name materials to train!) and see if you can do better when you stay patient, or you stop modding! No offense but someone who destroys materials by rushing is not worth to be called modder. Modding is art!
    Totally agree

4. funnky
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 17:51:08

thats sucks bro

5. Jo
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 17:53:54

@Syrti hey man! heard u are an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G modder ^^, ( not being sarcastic) ok. i will try to mod RSVP mx.. or maybe some cheap shit mod..but i get NERVOUS when cutting stuff.. that i shake my hands quite badly.. yup, i dont think i have fine motor skills.. Ok i'll learn [B]Patience[/B] maybe i'll mod a Cheap mod maybe a bictory with diff grip cuts and I'll show it to you?. and IS THERE STILL any tips on cutting grips? Dr grips, G2 grips.. putting on a barrel, i follow the line , but sometimes i cut OFF the line , i think its due to my Non-patient habbit. whatabout dr grips? draw a line around the grip? I cant even draw a straight line on a grip.. any ways?

6. Syrti
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 17:59:50

Following the grip is jsut fine. When you are patient the cut should go strait! It's important to lay the grip on a wider body (I prefer Hgg) so it won#t slip away while cutting. To get a straight line on plain grips I use tape! Just wrap it around the grip 1, or 2 time and turn the result in your hands to control whether the line is completely straight!

7. Jo
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 18:01:59

Ok @Syrti so u mean lets say a G2 grip i put in on a HGG body? ( so it will be secure?) The worst part is, I cant even Cut a straight line TAPE , tried nachoaddict's method. Im such a poor modder :( but others say modding is fun, I still dont get How is it fun when i Destroy most of the parts, so everytime when im planning to mod a Mod, i'll get EXtra materials just in case i spoilt it, But, the worst part is i destroy EVERY material including the Extra material :(

8. Syrti
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 18:17:16

Jo wrote: Ok @Syrti so u mean lets say a G2 grip i put in on a HGG body? ( so it will be secure?)
    Yes, that's what I was talking about :] Modding is really fun but if it's not for you, than you should stop it. It won't get better if you don't enjoy it!

9. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 18:19:47

Cutting grips, all grips cut on my mods ain't perfectly straight, especially dr grips, what I do is line my knife up as best as I can and push down really hard, gives some good results, it may not be completely even, but unlike cutting around, there will be no bits actually hanging off, so the look isn't bad. If you don't have patience modding, I'd say try just buying the mods, you sound more like a spinner to me, mods take patience.

10. Pixels
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 18:24:04

i recommend buying a tube cutter. It can cut anything circular, caps, bodies, grips.

11. Jo
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 18:32:26

@Pixels is it big? i meant the tube cutter, and how much is it the thing look kinda BIG does grips fit in it

12. Soren
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 18:46:56

If there is something that you should know about failure is that you should never let it defeat you.

13. astronaut
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 20:07:21

I agree with eurocracy in that some people are good making mods but others are just good at spinning. Guitrum for instance is a really creative modder, David Weiss is good at inventing tricks, and kin's specialty is actually spinning.

14. Jo
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 20:30:52

@Supergirl, yea i thought that once, but I wasted about 100$ man... thats alot... so its like a boderline choice for me to choose >< ..

15. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 20:44:50

And the tube cutter, Mr LSC (Insanely good and fast modder) uses a tube cutter for all of his gripcuts and even sells them in his pendolsa store, it really can help I hear.

16. Jo
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 21:04:39

@eurocracy holy shiet thanks, i searched about it, that thing looks perfect! what i wanted! i think its possible to get it in the Hardwareshops?

17. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 21:12:23

I don't use them personally but you ought to have a look around. I heard you should use them to Mark a perfect line and then put it on a barrel to cut slowly along the line to make a clean cut.

18. Tentcell
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 23:29:28

@Syrti You should make a video for beginner modders just showing the proper way to do things like cut grips, cut barrels, what tools, how to clean certain barrels ect... You don't know how many pens I wasted when I was a beginner, and I know there is all the info of what to do out on the internet somewhere, but it would be nice to have it all in one place.

19. GeeGeeGee
    Date: Wed, Apr 25 2012 00:06:23

acto knife works best. for straight line or curved line. keep modding. i used to be like ur but i got cleaner. i started modding my own mod since i started psing. i don't really have money to buy parts. use just cheapass american parts. now i succeeded. you should start trading if you have lots of money. imo good luck to you.

20. Furloy
    Date: Wed, Apr 25 2012 01:10:22

Take it from Syrti man. Try making a mod that doesn't require grip or barrel cuts, like an MX. You don't even need to worry about breaking off the clip. If you really are just not coordinated when it comes to modding buy mods from Penwish. He has very (very very very very) well made mods. His grip cuts are strait, smooth and perfect in every way possible. He has a good selection of pre made mods that will be all you need to spin. And the Penwish prices are very fair too. Step 1 to modding: Try double capping a comssa. If you can't do that, I'm sorry. Sorry I had to out that in. I know you can double cap a comssa. A gorilla can.

21. Froggy
    Date: Wed, Apr 25 2012 02:12:36

just buy mods from other semi-popular modders. I know a few people that cant mod anything and have accepted that fact already. you want a great example? here's one: @Tentcell i've been planning for that for a long time already.... just need actual time to do it :P

22. Tentcell
    Date: Wed, Apr 25 2012 02:25:46

Yeah I think it would be preettyyy baller if someone was to make a video like that @Froggy

23. Rudra
    Date: Wed, Apr 25 2012 02:30:03

Patience and practice is the key. X-acto and dremel very good to have. Don't rush or say, "close enough". Think like a perfectionist. If you dont have patience, you'll never make a good mod.

24. L-in
    Date: Wed, Apr 25 2012 03:12:55

@Jo I can tell that you are a perfectionist, just like me. You like to have everything in mint condition, all the time, while you do not possess the skill of manipulating gears. There are two ways you can go. 1. Train yourself by investing more and learning more from pro modders; 2. Accept the truth and pay more to buy perfectly-modded mods from pro modders. I went with the second option since my very first time of buying mods, and I trained myself by modding simple mods like MX and metal comssa when I have time and money. Either way you choose, you have to realize that mods, just like clothes and shoes, are touched and dropped everyday, which cannot be prevented from scratch and damage. No mod will last perfect forever, unless you never touch it and put it in a Louis Vuitton bag or somewhere. I accepted this truth very late, so I wasted lots of money selling mods that are becoming un-perfect and buying new ones. You have to get over the scratches and torn grips on mods if you want to continue your penspinning career. Only when you have spare money, you can get new ones to sub them; this should never be a top thing in your mind, though, because new ones will become old ones sometime in the future again. Anyway, good luck being a perfectionist! :D

25. Jo
    Date: Wed, Apr 25 2012 13:25:34

@Penz3160

26. sarugio
    Date: Sat, Apr 28 2012 02:45:50

Syrti wrote: And THAT is the key-problem. If you want to have a clean mod you have to take the time to mod it! I know examples of spinners cutting the grip with scissor's because they want the mod to eb done -> veeeery bad! When I cut a simple to cut grip like a Sailor I still take ~1 minute per ring! From your other examples from school it seems that you just aren't a person who has fine motor skills. You either can try to mod a simple pen and take your time (and maybe cheap no-name materials to train!) and see if you can do better when you stay patient, or you stop modding! No offense but someone who destroys materials by rushing is not worth to be called modder. Modding is art!
    yea enjoy your time while modding LOL. it happen to me too sometimes but when i think about the result,i start to make it with heart. and also as a pen modder,you must always have idea to overcome your problem. like me when i fail to cut a dr grip. i cut it oblique and and make a firefly g3 mod with a realy diffrent gripping style. i just wish i still have the photo. one does not simply quit modding. this happen too me sometimes i think i'm waisting my money but when i realized i'm making a piece of art i will go to my desk and start make something else :)

27. sarugio
    Date: Sat, Apr 28 2012 02:49:01

please delete this one accidently double post sorry

28. FRspinner
    Date: Sat, Apr 28 2012 14:54:35

I failed on the um152 grip too . But first . You must look the line staight . Must on top of the line . Then you must slowly to cut . Adjust . And cut it . And about the Stuhl mod. I will make a tutorial about putting on the grip. ( my father told me the method . It is really good) . You don't feel you are the loser and don't think you are the winner too. There is no winner . You won't win forever . If you did your best . Then it's good enough