UPSB v4

Off-topic / Book Report A+ thanks people who helped me :D

1. Xienix
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 15:07:37

hello everyone, i need you help because most of you know that my english sucks..... so that's why i need you help. i've made a book report .....well most of it, the other part is still in progress :P please do me a favor and correct the stuff i've misspelled thanks in advanced ^_^ [edit] done ^^ [COLOR="lime"][SIZE="4"]part 1[/SIZE][/COLOR] [SPOILER="part one"]1.What is the title of the book you have read? The title of the book I have read is: Stay out of the basement 2. Explain, in detail, the title. The Father (DR.Brewer) of Casey and Margaret loses his job in the lab, because people died in one of his experiments. So DR.Brewer decided to do the experiment in the basement. Not knowing that their father was doing the experiment in the basement Casey and Margaret went down to the basement wanting to ask what he was doing there. Halfway down the staircase though their father appeared glaring at them. His skin was glowing in a strange green light under his coat. Holding his right hand, blood dripping on his coat he bellowed: 'STAY OUT OF THE BASEMENT!!' 3. Who wrote the book? The author is: R.L. Stine 4.Give information about the author Stine (the author) and his little brother always told each other scary stories when they were in bed . When he was nine years old he started to write funny stories and drew the pictures himself. When he was a young-adult he wrote for different humoristic magazines. After a few years he became the editor in chief of the humoristic magazine. Bananas published by a American publisher for children. *I don't understand this part* After a few years though, because of the magazine not selling well, Stine lost his job. Later he started to write thrillers for children. His first book was Blind Date and it became a success. Following that success he wrote more books known as the Goosebumps. The first book of the series was Stay out of the basement and appeared in 1992. Stine writes in a very high speed, he writes 2 books in a month. Starting writing at 09:00 until lunch he can write 15 pages. In 1995 he wrote his first book for the mature audience. He’s married, has one son and lives in an apartment in New York. 5. when was it written? The book was written in 1992. 6. when was it published? The book was published the same year as it was written that means the book was published in 1992 7. What is the name of the publishers? The name of the publishers is scholastic Inc. 8.how many pages did the book consist of? The book consists of 122 pages[/SPOILER] [SIZE="4"][COLOR="lime"]part 2[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SPOILER="part2"]9. Was it written in the I form? Explain. It was not written in the I form because there are more main characters. And further in the book you know what kind of emotions they have and they were always talking in the “we” form. 10. Are there any pictures/photos in the book? Explain. No, there aren’t any photos in the book and I think it’s because he’s a very good writer so he didn’t need pictures/photos to illustrate the scenes. 11. When is the story set? (past, present, future, other, etc.) explain. Dates. Times. I think that the story is set in the present because they still have the aperture that we have (telephones, airplanes, cars etc.) There aren’t any specific dates said in the story so I can’t say exactly when the story is set, but I think that the story is set from 1990/2010 12. Where is the story set? (country/ towns/ cities/ planets/ on a farm/ in a class room/ on a ship/ etc) The biggest part of the story is set in a house because the father from Casey and Margaret is experimenting in the basement so it is actually very logical that the story is set in the house. There are some scenes out of the house of course. 13Who is/are the the main character(s) and why do you say so? I think that the main characters are Casey and Margaret because if you take them away, there isn’t a story. 14. Who is /are the minor character(s) and why do you say so? Diane is a minor character because the story can go on without her. 15. Who is you favorite character and why do you say so? Well…. My favorite character is Dr.Brewer because he’s working with plants 16. Who is your least favorite character and why do you say so? My least favorite character is Mr. Martines because he fires Dr.Brewer when he was working on a very awesome experiment in his lab that was too dangerous to continue. So his boss (Mr. Martines ) decided to fire him. 17.Does the story have a happy ending? Explain you answer. Ehhmm… the story doesn’t have a happy ending but it’s an open ending I think. Because the story ends with a flower (one flower out of the basement who was not dangerous, Mr. Brewer said) who said to Margaret the plant was her father. That’s how the story ends. I am not sure if Margaret believes the plant, but if she does believe the plant then she might kill her real dad. And that’s why I think that the story has an open ending. 18.would you recommend this book/ this author to your fellow students? Explain your answer. I would recommend this book to my fellow students because when I started reading this book it was kind of boring but when I went further into the book it became more exciting, then there were the cliffhangers, where I wanted to know what happened at the end of the chapter but in the next chapter something interesting happens and then I want to know what that is and that’s how I read 70 pages in one evening. I am not sure if I recommend the author to my fellow students because this is the only book I’ve read from the author but if the other books are as cool as this one then I would recommend the author. [/SPOILER] [SIZE="4"][COLOR="lime"]Part3[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SPOILER="part 3"]19.What was the best part of the book? Explain your answer. Well the best part of the book was the moment that DR.Brewer and his plant clone met each other and had to prove who was the real one. That was the best moment because Casey and Margaret had to figure out who is the real one So they have to think but then Margaret remembers something that has happened before And the way she find's out who the real Dr. Brewer is is really interesting. 20.What was the worst part of the book? Explain your answere. The worst part of the book were the first 8 pages, because there was not a lot else beside the usual exposition . 21. Make another ending to the story. In your own(English) words. “Ow!“ He cried as the blade cut through the skin. Margaret pulled the knife back, which had left a tiny hole. red blood trickled from the hole but in Margaret’s eyes it was green. “He’s our fake dad, “she told Casey, (but Casey didn’t know Margaret was colorblind) Sighing with relief. “Here,Dad.” She handed him the axe. “Margaret- you’re wrong!” the man without the baseball cap cried in alarm. “He’s tricked you! He’s tricked you!” “Here ,Margaret you’ve discovered the truth so you may kill him, we’ll wait in the living room, Dad said. After Margaret heard that the door was closed she picked up the axe, took three steps forward, pulled the axe back, and swung with all her might. The Cap less MR.Brewer opened his mouth wide and uttered a hushed cry of alarm. The cry was choked off as the axe cut easily through his body, slicing him in two. There was blood every were (but because Margaret is color blind it was green everywhere) After she cleaned up the death body and all the blood she went to the living room. Margaret we’re okay!” Dr. Brewer cried. “You guessed right!” “it wasn’t a guess.” Margaret said, sinking into his arms “I knew that my real dad would have red blood.” Casey told me he saw one of you was bleeding green blood in the bathroom. “We’re okay!” Mrs. Brewer cried, rushing into her husband’s arms (not her real husband) “We’re okay!” All four of them rushed together in an emotional (almost) family hug. “one more thing we have to do,” their father said, his arms around the two kids. But they didn’t see the knives he had there and before they could say something the only thing they felt was a cold painful death Ther mom started with screaming but not for long, in a matter of seconds she was death to.[/SPOILER] ©R.V.(H3C) part one is done thank you ChainBreak :)) part two is done by Miku :)) and Cubesnail did part one and two just to be sure :)) part 1 and 2 is also done by jet :)) Part 3 is done by ChainBreak :)) specail thanks to those people^

2. Krypton
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 15:21:26

*lab. The second point was a bit dreary, I would make it more general and summarising the entire story. Other than that it is fine :)

3. ChainBreak
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 15:23:07

Xienix wrote: hello everyone, i need you help because most of you know that my english sucks..... so that's why i need you help. i've made a book report .....well most of it, the other part is still in progress :P please do me a favor and correct the stuff i've misspelled thanks in advanced ^_^ 1.What is the title of the book you have read? The title of the book I have read is: Stay out of the basement 2. Explain, in detail, the title. The Father (DR.Brewer) of Casey and Margaret loses his job in the lab, because people died in one of his experiments. So DR.Brewer decided to do the experiment in the basement. Not knowing that their father was doing the experiment in the basement Casey and Margaret went down to the basement wanting to ask what he was doing there. Halfway down the staircase though their father appeared glaring at them. His skin was glowing in a strange green light under his coat. Holding his right hand, blood dripping on his coat he bellowed: 'STAY OUT OF THE BASEMENT!!' 3. Who wrote the book? The author is: R.L. Stine 4.Give information about the author Stine (the author) and his little brother always told each other scary stories when they were in bed . When he was nine years old he started to write funny stories and drew the pictures himself. When he was a young-adult he wrote for different humoristic magazines. After a few years he became the editor in chief of the humoristic magazine. Bananas published by a American publisher for children. *I don't understand this part* After a few years though, because of the magazine not selling well, Stine lost his job. Later he started to write thrillers for children. His first book was Blind Date and it became a success. Following that success he wrote more books known as the Goosebumps. The first book of the series was Stay out of the basement and appeared in 1992. Stine writes in a very high speed, he writes 2 books in a month. Starting writing at 09:00 until lunch he can write 15 pages. In 1995 he wrote his first book for the mature audience. He’s married, has one son and lives in an apartment in New York. 5. when was it written? The book was written in 1992. 6. when was it published? The book was published the same year as it was written that means the book was published in 1992 7. What is the name of the publishers? The name of the publishers is scholastic Inc. 8.how many pages did the book consist of? The book consists of 122 pages ©Robin Vereecken (H3C)
    I tried to correct mostly the formal stuff like bad vocab, spelling mistakes and changed repeating sentence structures.

4. Xienix
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 15:32:02

ChainBreak wrote: I tried to correct mostly the formal stuff like bad vocab, spelling mistakes and changed repeating sentence structures.
    whoa that was fast O_0 thank you very much bro ^_^

5. ChainBreak
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 15:34:01

Haha it's no big deal. I've been learning English for more then 10 years already so stuff like that is not hard for me.

6. Xienix
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 19:39:14

updated with part 2 ^_^

7. Miku
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 19:55:17

9. Was it written in the I form? Explain. It was not written in the I form because there are more main characters. And further in the book you know what kind of emotions they have and they were always talking in the “we” form. 10. Are there any pictures/photos in the book? Explain. No, there aren’t any photos in the book and I think it’s because he’s a very good writer so he didn’t need pictures/photos to illustrate the scenes. 11. When is the story set? (past, present, future, other, etc.) explain. Dates. Times. I think that the story is set in the present because they still have the aperture that we have (telephones, airplanes, cars etc.) There aren’t any specific dates said in the story so I can’t say exactly when the story is set, but I think that the story is set from 1990/2010 12. Where is the story set? (country/ towns/ cities/ planets/ on a farm/ in a class room/ on a ship/ etc) The biggest part of the story is set in a house because the father from Casey and Margaret is experimenting in the basement so it is actually very logical that the story is set in the house. There are some scenes out of the house of course. 13Who is/are the the main character(s) and why do you say so? I think that the main characters are Casey and Margaret because if you take them away, there isn’t a story. 14. Who is /are the minor character(s) and why do you say so? Diane is a minor character because the story can go on without her. 15. Who is you favorite character and why do you say so? Well…. My favorite character is Dr.Brewer because he’s working with plants 16. Who is your least favorite character and why do you say so? My least favorite character is Mr. Martines because he fires Dr.Brewer when he was working on a very awesome experiment in his lab that was too dangerous to continue. So his boss (Mr. Martines ) decided to fire him. 17.Does the story have a happy ending? Explain you answer. Ehhmm… the story doesn’t have a happy ending but it’s an open ending I think. Because the story ends with a flower (one flower out of the basement who was not dangerous, Mr. Brewer said) who said to Margaret the plant was her father. That’s how the story ends. I am not sure if Margaret believes the plant, but if she does believe the plant then she might kill her real dad. And that’s why I think that the story has an open ending. 18.would you recommend this book/ this author to your fellow students? Explain your answer. I would recommend this book to my fellow students because when I started reading this book it was kind of boring but when I went further into the book it became more exciting, then there were the cliffhangers, where I wanted to know what happened at the end of the chapter but in the next chapter something interesting happens and then I want to know what that is and that’s how I read 70 pages in one evening. I am not sure if I recommend the author to my fellow students because this is the only book I’ve read from the author but if the other books are as cool as this one then I would recommend the author. you're welcome ^_^ edited a few capitalization errors too haha

8. Cubesnail
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 20:01:38

[QUOTE=Xienix;192625]hello everyone, i need you help because most of you know that my english sucks..... so that's why i need you help. i've made a book report .....well most of it, the other part is still in progress :P please do me a favor and correct the stuff i've misspelled thanks in advanced ^_^ [COLOR="lime"][SIZE="4"]part 1[/SIZE][/COLOR] 1.What is the title of the book you have read? The title of the book I have read is Stay out of the basement 2. Explain, in detail, the title. The Father (Dr.Brewer) of Casey and Margaret loses his job in the lab, because people died in one of his experiments. So Dr.Brewer decided to do the experiment in the basement. Not knowing that their father was doing the experiment in the basement Casey and Margaret went down to the basement wanting to ask what he was doing there. Halfway down the staircase though their father appeared glaring at them. His skin was glowing in a strange green light under his coat. Holding his right hand, blood dripping on his coat he bellowed: 'STAY OUT OF THE BASEMENT!!' 3. Who wrote the book? The author is: R.L. Stine 4.Give information about the author Stine (the author) and his little brother always told each other scary stories when they were in bed . When he was nine years old he started to write funny stories and drew the pictures himself. When he was a young-adult he wrote for different humoristic magazines. After a few years he became the editor in chief of the humoristic magazine (Bananas). Bananas was published by a American publisher for children. After a few years though, because of the magazine not selling well, Stine lost his job. Later he started to write thrillers for children. His first book was Blind Date and it became a success. Following that success he wrote more books known as the Goosebumps. The first book of the series was Stay out of the basement and appeared in 1992. Stine writes in a very high speed, he writes 2 books in a month. Starting writing at 09:00 until lunch he can write 15 pages. In 1995 he wrote his first book for the mature audience. He’s married, has one son and lives in an apartment in New York. 5. when was it written? The book was written in 1992. 6. When was it published? The book was published the same year as it was written that means the book was published in 1992 7. What is the name of the publishers? The name of the publishers is Scholastic Inc. 8.how many pages did the book consist of? The book consists of 122 pages [COLOR="red"][SIZE="4"]part 2[/SIZE][/COLOR] 9.Was it written in the I form? Explain. It was not written in the I form because there are more main characters. And further on the book you know what kind of emotions they have and they were always talking in the “we” form 10. Are there any pictures/photos in the book? Explain. No there aren’t any photos in the book and I think it’s because he’s a very good writer so he didn’t need pictures/photos to illustrate the scenes. 11. When is the story set? (past, present, future, other, etc.) explain. Dates. Times. I think that the story is set in the present because they still have the aperture that we have (telephones, airplanes, cars etc.) There aren’t any specific dates said in the story so I can’t say exactly when the story is set , but I think that the story is set from 1990/2010 12.where is the story set? (country/ towns/ cities/ planets/ on a farm/ in a class room/ on a ship/ etc) The biggest part of the story is set in a house because the father from Casey and Margaret is experimenting in the basement so it actually very logical that the story is set in the house, there are some scenes out of the house of course. 13Who is/are the the main character(s) and why do you say so? I think that the main characters are Casey and Margaret because if you were to remove them away there isn’t a story. 14. Who is /are the minor character(s) and why do you say so? Diane is a minor character because the story is able to go on without Daine. 15. Who is you favorite character and why do you say so? Well…. My favorite character is Dr.Brewer because he’s working with plants 16. Who is your least favorite character and why do you say so? My least favorite character is: Mr. Martines because he fires Dr.Brewer when he was working on a very extravagant experiment in his lab but that was too dangerous to continue. So Mr.Martines (his boss) decideded to fire him 17.Does the story have a happy ending? Explain you answer. The story doesn’t have a happy ending but it’s an open ending I think. Because the story ends with a flower (one flower out of the basement who was not dangers Mr. Brewer said) who said to Margaret that the plant was her father. That’s how the story ends I am not sure if Margaret believes the plant, if she does belive the plant than she might kill her real dad. And that’s why I think that the story has an open end 18.Would you recommend this book/ this author to your fellow students? Explain your answer. I would recommend this book to my fellow students because when I started reading this book it was kind of boring but when I read further the book it became more exiting, then there were the cliffhangers, I wanted to know what happed on the end of the chapter but in the next chapter something interesting happens and then I want to know what that is and that’s how I read 70 pages in 1 evening. I am not sure If I recommend the author to my fellow students because this is the only book I’ve read from the author but if the other books were as cool as this one than I’ll recommend the author to my fellow students. ©R.V.(H3C) Revised both parts - Cubesnail

9. Xienix
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 20:04:52

Miku wrote: you're welcome ^_^ edited a few capitalization errors too haha
    i love this board, thank you so much :bowdown: so much help here O_o thank you very much @Cubesnail :bowdown:

10. jet
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 23:31:00

Xienix wrote: i love this board, thank you so much :bowdown: so much help here O_o thank you very much @Cubesnail :bowdown:
    part 1 1.What is the title of the book you have read? The title of the book I have read is: Stay out of the basement 2. Explain, in detail, the title. The Father (Dr.Brewer) of Casey and Margaret loses his job in the lab, because people died in one of his experiments, so Dr.Brewer decided to do the experiment in the basement. Not knowing that their father was doing the experiment in the basement, Casey and Margaret went down to the basement wanting to ask what he was doing there. Halfway down the staircase though, their father appeared glaring at them. His skin was glowing in a strange green light under his coat. Holding his right hand, blood dripping on his coat, he bellowed: "STAY OUT OF THE BASEMENT!!" 3. Who wrote the book? The author is: R.L. Stine 4.Give information about the author As kids, Stine (the author) and his little brother always told each other scary stories when they were in bed . When he was nine years old he started to write funny stories and drew the pictures himself. When he was a young-adult he wrote for different humoristic magazines. After a few years he became the editor in chief of the humoristic magazine (Bananas). Bananas was published by a American publisher for children. However, Stine lost his job since the magazine was not selling well. Later he started to write thrillers for children. His first book was Blind Date and it became a success. Following that success he wrote a series known as the Goosebumps. The first book of the series was Stay out of the basement and appeared in 1992. Stine writes at a very fast pace, as he can write 2 books in a month. Starting writing at 9:00 in the morning until lunch, he can write 15 pages. In 1995 he wrote his first book for mature audiences. He is married, has one son, and lives in an apartment in New York. 5. when was it written? The book was written in 1992. 6. When was it published? The book was published the same year as it was written, 1992. 7. What is the name of the publishers? The name of the publishers is Scholastic Inc. 8.how many pages did the book consist of? The book consists of 122 pages part 2 9.Was it written in the I form? Explain. It was not written in the I form because there are more main characters. Also, further on the book you realize what kind of emotions they have. They always talking in the “we” form. 10. Are there any pictures/photos in the book? Explain. No there aren’t any photos in the book and I think it is because he is such a good writer that he didn’t need pictures/photos to illustrate the scenes he described. 11. When is the story set? (past, present, future, other, etc.) explain. Dates. Times. I think that the story is set in the present because they still have the aperture that we have (telephones, airplanes, cars etc.) There aren’t any specific dates mentioned in the story so I can’t say exactly when the story is set , but I think that the story is set from 1990/2010 12.where is the story set? (country/ towns/ cities/ planets/ on a farm/ in a class room/ on a ship/ etc) The biggest part of the story is set in a house because the father of Casey and Margaret is experimenting in the basement so it is assumed that the story is set in the house. Of course, there are some scenes out of the house. 13. Who is/are the the main character(s) and why do you say so? I think that the main characters are Casey and Margaret because if you were to remove them away there is no story. 14. Who is /are the minor character(s) and why do you say so? Diane is a minor character because the story is able to go on without Diane. 15. Who is you favorite character and why do you say so? My favorite character is Dr.Brewer because he’s working with plants. <= connect this to yourself, like "i liek plants" :hah: 16. Who is your least favorite character and why do you say so? My least favorite character is: Mr. Martines because he fires Dr.Brewer when he was working on a very extravagant experiment in his lab that was too dangerous to continue. 17.Does the story have a happy ending? Explain you answer. The story doesn’t have a happy ending but I believe it’s an open ending because the story ends with a flower (one flower out of the basement who was not dangers Mr. Brewer said) who said to Margaret that the plant was her father. I am not sure if Margaret believes that the plant is actually her father, if she does belive the plant than she might kill her real dad. 18.Would you recommend this book/ this author to your fellow students? Explain your answer. I would recommend this book to my fellow students because when I started reading this book it lacked interest, but as I read further into the book, it became more exciting. Plus, there are the cliffhangers. I wanted to know what happens at the end of each chapter, but in the next chapter something interesting happens igniting my curiosity further. I am not sure If I would recommend this author to my fellow students because this is the only book I’ve read by him, but if the other books were as cool as this one than I’ll recommend the author to my fellow students.

11. sangara
    Date: Tue, Apr 17 2012 02:50:09

Why has no one corrected it to "Stay Out of the Basement"?

12. Xienix
    Date: Tue, Apr 17 2012 18:26:33

sangara wrote: Why has no one corrected it to "Stay Out of the Basement"?
    did i spelled it wrong than?? :O part 3 is up btw :P and am working on part 4 [edit] THERE IS NO PART 4 because it's in dutch and not in english ^_^

13. ChainBreak
    Date: Tue, Apr 17 2012 19:04:28

19.What was the best part of the book? Explain your answer. Well the best part of the book was the moment that DR.Brewer and his plant clone met each other and had to prove who was the real one. That was the best moment because Casey and Margaret had to figure out who is the real one So they have to think but then Margaret remembers something that has happened before And the way she find's out who the real Dr. Brewer is is really interesting. 20.What was the worst part of the book? Explain your answere. The worst part of the book were the first 8 pages, because there was not a lot else beside the usual exposition . 21. Make another ending to the story. In your own(English) words. “Ow!“ He cried as the blade cut through the skin. Margaret pulled the knife back, which had left a tiny hole. red blood trickled from the hole but in Margaret’s eyes it was green. “He’s our fake dad, “she told Casey, (but Casey didn’t know Margaret was colorblind) Sighing with relief. “Here,Dad.” She handed him the axe. “Margaret- you’re wrong!” the man without the baseball cap cried in alarm. “He’s tricked you! He’s tricked you!” “Here ,Margaret you’ve discovered the truth so you may kill him, we’ll wait in the living room, Dad said. After Margaret heard that the door was closed she picked up the axe, took three steps forward, pulled the axe back, and swung with all her might. The Cap less MR.Brewer opened his mouth wide and uttered a hushed cry of alarm. The cry was choked off as the axe cut easily through his body, slicing him in two. There was blood every were (but because Margaret is color blind it was green everywhere) After she cleaned up the death body and all the blood she went to the living room. Margaret we’re okay!” Dr. Brewer cried. “You guessed right!” “it wasn’t a guess.” Margaret said, sinking into his arms “I knew that my real dad would have red blood.” Casey told me he saw one of you was bleeding green blood in the bathroom. “We’re okay!” Mrs. Brewer cried, rushing into her husband’s arms (not her real husband) “We’re okay!” All four of them rushed together in an emotional (almost) family hug. “one more thing we have to do,” their father said, his arms around the two kids. But they didn’t see the knives he had there and before they could say something the only thing they felt was a cold painful death Ther mom started with screaming but not for long, in a matter of seconds she was death to.
    Not so much done. You should try to keep a more formal style when writing essays and only use one tense for the wole essay.

14. Xienix
    Date: Tue, Apr 17 2012 19:56:51

ChainBreak wrote: Not so much done. You should try to keep a more formal style when writing essays and only use one tense for the wole essay.
    yay my book report is done now ^_^!! thank you i'll try to rememder those tips :P i'll post my grade if i've got it

15. ChainBreak
    Date: Tue, Apr 17 2012 20:17:43

you better remember those tips. I don't know if rememdering really helps... :P

16. Xienix
    Date: Sun, May 27 2012 12:18:32

O.o i've got my grade back and it's a 10 or a A+ ^_^ (i don't know how the grades system works in amerika :P)

17. ChainBreak
    Date: Sun, May 27 2012 13:55:27

Congrats. (sun)