UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / Central/middle grips, yay or nay?

1. Bill
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 20:24:56

I'm not a modder, but on other hand I don't generally buy mods either, bought a buster once and didn't like it, but anyway, being in the UK I wanted to make a mod, so I made a grip aviaire since all the parts are so easy to get. I have personalised mine gradually over time, placed airfits on the end to add weight etc, but I have always kept an HGG grip in the middle. I wondered what other spinners think about this. On the one hand, it's what I'm use to, and I don't feel it negatively affects my spinning (if anything it makes topspin a lot easier), but on the other hand when I use other mods, I almost find them slippery, because flexgrips are quite grippy as well. Should I keep on as I am? Should I remove the grip? Or should I change mod to a smoother one?

2. Lucid
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 20:29:13

Its all about personal preverence.

3. Awesome
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 20:34:03

I think middle grips look a bit tacky, but nothing wrong with them if you like them

4. Bill
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 20:42:06

Just don't understand why I like them with, since no one regularly spins with central grips, except for Banz who invented the mod :P My only consolation is S777 has used a grip aviaire in the past for some combos XD

5. Lucid
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 20:49:54

Then keep using them if you like them. Its all about what you prefer

6. fang
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 21:30:41

Bill wrote: Just don't understand why I like them with, since no one regularly spins with central grips, except for Banz who invented the mod :P My only consolation is S777 has used a grip aviaire in the past for some combos XD
    I spin alot with the grip avair, and I like it. @Xienix got a grip avair varitaion without the middle grip, it spins very good, but I prefer with middle grip. I think you should try some stuff out!~

7. Fuse
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 21:31:32

I have a custom bictory with an RSVP grip in the middle, it is amazing for set palmspins.

8. Furloy
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 23:42:24

I would say if the grip avaire is working for you keep with it. People aren't going to criticize you for it like a buster. If you enjoy spinning other mods, spin a gripless comssa for a day and you will learn some control. You can still spin the grip avaire, but if you spin it less, and other mods more, it won't be as much of a problem.

9. qinkuangan
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 00:10:25

you can try to mod the breaker mod Because all the parts can be got in UK

10. drgripable
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 01:44:12

Personally, i think these mods are GREAT if you have "slippery" hands or hands with no good grip. But overall, i think these pens are great for topspin tricks as they provide an elevated space on the middle of the pen versus a completely flat/even body. I just feel as if the middle grip sometimes gets in the way of power tricks.

11. Danny116
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 02:30:12

its cool, its unique, its a fun thing to have :D but honestly in for some mods you NEED IT. a ZT is virtually unspinnable w/o the middle grip....the metal is too slick (yea, the middle grip is the spinning area) if you want, cover the WHOLE GA with hgg grip xD

12. Colin
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 03:05:47

:p No, seriously. Middle grips are stupid. I hate them.

13. midniteferret
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 03:50:02

if the middle grip is like a dr grip then no but I think an hgg will be fine

14. MickChickenn
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 04:07:14

Middle grips suck.

15. PenwisH
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 10:37:51

i like the way it looks but it's hard to spin with center grip

16. ChainBreak
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 12:56:16

yay

17. Bill
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 16:12:29

I've taken the central grip off one of my personal grip avaiares, like the look of it, as I expected, arounds feel maybe a tad easier or smoother, but I can hardly palmspin to TA it at all. I'll try out some other mods at some point too

18. Soren
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 18:15:34

Bill wrote: I'm not a modder, but on other hand I don't generally buy mods either, bought a buster once and didn't like it, but anyway, being in the UK I wanted to make a mod, so I made a grip aviaire since all the parts are so easy to get. I have personalised mine gradually over time, placed airfits on the end to add weight etc, but I have always kept an HGG grip in the middle. I wondered what other spinners think about this. On the one hand, it's what I'm use to, and I don't feel it negatively affects my spinning (if anything it makes topspin a lot easier), but on the other hand when I use other mods, I almost find them slippery, because flexgrips are quite grippy as well. Should I keep on as I am? Should I remove the grip? Or should I change mod to a smoother one?
    Cool another UK spinner. :D My first proper pen mod was also the grip aviaire, but I didn't connect the two bodies together with a grip, but I have tried it before and it gets in the way of me spinning. So it's a nay from me.

19. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Apr 17 2012 17:40:48

Bonkura uses a middle grip on his KT in one of his WT2007 combos, it makes topspins easier as it grips the hand and stays more stationary as the pen spins.

20. sarugio
    Date: Wed, Apr 18 2012 12:17:33

LOL we got the same problem. when i started spinning. i make a selfmod with steadler graphite barrel which is feel like a rubber. when i try ayatori mod it feel so slippery but as a try and try it become better and better. and now i can spin with normal mod. you just need time to get used to that slippery feel

Danny116 wrote: its cool, its unique, its a fun thing to have :D but honestly in for some mods you NEED IT. a ZT is virtually unspinnable w/o the middle grip....the metal is too slick (yea, the middle grip is the spinning area) if you want, cover the WHOLE GA with hgg grip xD
    that would be cool hahaha gonna try after i got flexigrips