UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / Sympathy

1. Cubesnail
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 01:50:59

I can't possibly be the only one. Whenever someone posts about their pet or their friend being sick online I feel absolutely no sympathy, even annoyed at times. Or even in person, during the Japan earthquake, one of my Japanese friends walked up to me and said "One of my grandmothers sisters friend died". I was curious on why she told me this, possibly expecting sympathy, or possibly attention. I feel like I've been through events where I received no sympathy and had to go through it by myself. (i.e My father dying) Am I a bad person or is this normal?

2. Fuse
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 02:07:42

I don't think that lack of sympathy from others in your rough time means that you should be cold-hearted towards others. The actions of the people then shouldn't determine your attitude towards people who are grieving; you should not blame EVERYONE and be cold towards them because people did that to you.

3. Reason
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 02:20:01

its a common idea that if you tell someone something that is causing grief or distress to you, sympathy is expected. yes, some people dont really care and putting something on the internet does not make anyone obligated to show sympathy towards them. if you dont want to show sympathy to someone who wants it on the internet you really dont have to. simply follow decisions that you stand behind, but think it through first. show sympathy in cases you would want it too. for example: i assume that you would want sympathy after the loss of your father, so how would you react if someone told you that their father died? you would not be able to help remembering how you felt through that loss, so simply act upon it. do what you would want done for you. hope this helps a little :)

4. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 02:30:18

If you're unable to sympathize, yes there's a problem. But just because you don't feel sympathy doesn't mean you're a bad person.

5. Cubesnail
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 02:51:04

@Reason, I feel like if sympathy is legitimate, than it doesn't need to be asked for. And I feel like we're in a generation where sympathy does needed to be asked for.

6. midniteferret
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 03:28:18

some people feel more than others...but psychopaths feel nothing for other people (10% of population are psychopaths) but that doesn't mean you are a bad person...it is just the way your mind works.

7. funnky
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 03:57:29

Cubesnail wrote: I can't possibly be the only one. Whenever someone posts about their pet or their friend being sick online I feel absolutely no sympathy, even annoyed at times. Or even in person, during the Japan earthquake, one of my Japanese friends walked up to me and said "One of my grandmothers sisters friend died". I was curious on why she told me this, possibly expecting sympathy, or possibly attention. I feel like I've been through events where I received no sympathy and had to go through it by myself. (i.e My father dying) Am I a bad person or is this normal?
    if its online i can care less. if its in person its a little different i think, depends on the situation

8. Furloy
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 04:19:27

Yes, I hate when people expect sympathy for little things, like no one gives a shit. Especially online. And that thing about the persons grandmothers sisters friend, no sympathy for that. I think your ok if you father passes away and you got no sympathy and you hate it when people ask for sympathy about their pet turtle being sick. That is reasonable.

9. Awesome
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 04:25:24

You probably have a form of douche-bagness. I am no doctor though and you should check with one.

Cubesnail wrote: I can't possibly be the only one. Whenever someone posts about their pet or their friend being sick online I feel absolutely no sympathy, even annoyed at times. Or even in person, during the Japan earthquake, one of my Japanese friends walked up to me and said "One of my grandmothers sisters friend died". I was curious on why she told me this, possibly expecting sympathy, or possibly attention. I feel like I've been through events where I received no sympathy and had to go through it by myself. (i.e My father dying) Am I a bad person or is this normal?

10. Reason
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 04:40:19

as humans, scratch that, even as animals we react to stimuli. there is no way to tell if someone needs something unless they give some sign. no, sympathy does not need to be asked for, but some people feel like they need to ask for it. is it wrong to want to talk to someone about something troubling you though? yeah, if you get sick or something silly like that, get over it because 98% of people dont care. but if something really does bother you, dont make it public but talk to someone who will care. yeah some people do it solely for attention (like the example you gave about the grandma's sister's death thing; not that it actually is it just seems like that sorta thing) but certain things affect people differently. some people truly morn the death of a pet; personally i find it sad but i never cry about it. its not exactly easy and it doesnt really make sense, so just trust decisions you make and go with what you think is right. accept that we all act different about our feelings and some people feel less than others (i.e. what midniteferret said)

11. juggalo666666
    Date: Mon, Apr 23 2012 14:08:50

Dude don't feel bad I feel the same way, everybody has their own problems you've got yours, I've got mine. I'm not gonna cry over yours and you shouldn't cry over mine. Nuff' said.

12. AoD1
    Date: Tue, Apr 24 2012 11:32:09

i just laugh at others misfortune.

13. flarry
    Date: Fri, May 4 2012 04:50:53

It would not be actually fair to bash someone who does not feel any sympathy over some news that has been brought up in the forum. Yes, there are a couple of those who would feel pity, or sympathy as how others would coin it, but not working as one should not demerit that person who is singled out. Personal feelings do not have to be messed around with anyway. So it really depends on the person.

14. saharc
    Date: Tue, May 8 2012 08:16:50

People react differently. There are some who are more prone to being able to sympathize to another person while there are those who absolutely would not care. And there are more people who are going with the latter, unfortunately. That does not make the world a tougher place to live in but rather something that would not be as imaginable and ideal as how some people think it actually is.