UPSB v4

Off-topic / Most effective/inexpensive way to learn a language

1. SJ
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 02:24:16

any ideas? i wanna learn japanese but where to start? google japanese learning websites? any recommendations? i heard rosetta stone only teaches u vocab and shit not much convo any input besides make japanese friends, get a tutor, take a class?

2. King
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 02:29:20

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/all-japanese-all-the-time-ajatt-how-to-learn-japanese-on-your-own-having-fun-and-to-fluency Read. Everything. This is how Matt became fluent so fast, and makes more sense than a lot of other teaching strategies.

3. sangara
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 02:37:45

Yeah I heard the best way to learn a language was to immerse your self in it. I've also heard that Rosetta Stone is a giant waste of money.

4. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 02:40:46

sangara wrote: Yeah I heard the best way to learn a language was to immerse your self in it. I've also heard that Rosetta Stone is a giant waste of money.
    immersing yourself will cost more (plane ticket + hotel) but you will have fun doing it

5. King
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 03:02:37

Replacing music/movies/tv-shows/news that are in english with japanese (No subtitles) does a lot. After you learn more of the language you start understanding what is actually going on.

6. Frip
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 03:16:58

Pimsleur is the best for speaking, by far. Either pay the $30 for it off of ebay or just download it. It's awesome. //I actually have the Japanese course on my laptop

7. Fuse
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 03:18:51

Well, the answer is the same as the secret to becoming good at PSing: Practice.

8. Geko
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 03:25:48

i am currently learning and i started with the ds my japanese coach.... i thought it helped alot.... some things dont make sense but later do.... i am going to japan durring the summer and that should also really help.... a good way to practice is with another person learning the same language or is fluent... id be glad to practice with you if you start

9. funnky
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 03:26:26

Rosetta stone haha

10. Van
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 03:51:24

matt fluent? lol wut

11. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 03:56:18

This sounds really mundane, but buy the Genki textbooks (obviously get it used because it's only $10). It makes things so simple, you could probably go through all the lessons in a week and retain everything. Memorize hiragana and katakana while you wait for the book to come in the mail. Just get out sheets of paper and make a phonetic table and fill in as much as you can. I memorized both alphabets in a day doing this. Also, if you listen to a lot of Japanese music, it will help a lot when it comes to memory based stuff, like te and nai form. I've listened to Japanese music for a long time so I can tell when something just doesn't sound right.

12. King
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 04:13:05

Why would you learn a second language any different then the way you learned your first?

13. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 04:22:08

King wrote: Why would you learn a second language any different then the way you learned your first?
    Because you can't make yourself a babby again with a kawaii nihonjin mom with no other resort than to decipher what exactly she is trying to communicate to you. Believe me, I tried.

14. King
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 05:04:56

I didnt think it would be taken so literally... But really, did any japanese child learn how to modify verbs using -ta form or even know there were separate groups for different words? Probably not. Im just saying taking a class or reading a textbook isnt a good way to [B]LEARN[/B] a language.

15. SJ
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 06:42:00

first, thank you everyone for all the suggestions. im gonna try them out.... :D keep em comin

King wrote: Why would you learn a second language any different then the way you learned your first?
    ....cuz then i would need to go to japan and immerse myself into the culture. aint got no time and money yet plus japanese wouldnt be my second language. more like 3rd or 4th language

16. Krypton
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 11:08:47

Speak it lots.

17. King
    Date: Thu, Apr 12 2012 14:11:57

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/japan-is-wherever-you-are-10-ways-to-turn-your-environment-japanese :thumb:

18. Krypton
    Date: Fri, Apr 13 2012 12:46:57

Any good suggestions for French learning? I prefer to learn by speaking. Youtube doesn't have much, or maybe I don't know where to look. There's an article on the history and culture of Armenia in French that I quite like and have watched a few times. I like stuff like that.

19. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Apr 13 2012 15:40:34

Play video games with them, I learned most of my spanish from playing Halo CE with mexicans. You get better at the game and actually communicating with your teammates :)

20. Frip
    Date: Fri, Apr 13 2012 22:20:41

Krypton wrote: Any good suggestions for French learning? I prefer to learn by speaking. Youtube doesn't have much, or maybe I don't know where to look. There's an article on the history and culture of Armenia in French that I quite like and have watched a few times. I like stuff like that.
    Pimsleur is the best for speaking. After 2 weeks or so watch some French TV, maybe sports? Ligue 1 for soccer @ firstrowsports.eu would work, or maybe some Remi Gaillaird on Youtube. Best thing is to start with pimsleur though. I tried it for Portuguese every day for 3 weeks and I can introduce myself, have a casual conversation, and order two beers :woop: Just make sure you actually do the exercises by repeating everything they say and do it DAILY.

21. Krypton
    Date: Sat, Apr 14 2012 12:43:30

Thanks Frip and Shoe! I used to study interactive audio courses and repeat the conversations to myself a lot. Now I'm just concentrating on the words and conjugations, but sadly RocketFrench has only a bit for the free trial. Maybe I should purchase it, exploit all their material for 59 days and ask for a refund before the 60 day satisfaction gurantee period.