UPSB v4

Off-topic / The Hunger Games Thread

1. Soren
    Date: Sun, Mar 25 2012 15:58:52

It would seem that The Hunger Games is popular amongst many people. Use this thread to discuss about The Hunger Games, be it about the file or the books. Personally I've read the first two books and I'm currently reading the third and final one at the moment. In my opinion the books become more boring by each book, but interesting nevertheless. With the release of the movie two days ago, I am quite excited in seeing it, it would be interesting to experience the story in motion before my eyes and see how it compares to reading the book.

2. EINTKALILFG
    Date: Sun, Mar 25 2012 16:31:37

I saw the movie on opening day and was excessively impressed. There was obvious exclusions that tend to happen whenever a book is converted to the big screen but as a whole, it stayed very true to the book and was just as captivating. The cinematography was outstanding and a big part of how it is they achieved a PG-13 rating for a movie that needed to contain a good deal of violence but maintain marketability. I would absolutely reccomend it to pretty much anyone.

3. Soren
    Date: Sun, Mar 25 2012 16:43:01

EINTKALILFG wrote: I saw the movie on opening day and was excessively impressed. There was obvious exclusions that tend to happen whenever a book is converted to the big screen but as a whole, it stayed very true to the book and was just as captivating. The cinematography was outstanding and a big part of how it is they achieved a PG-13 rating for a movie that needed to contain a good deal of violence but maintain marketability. I would absolutely reccomend it to pretty much anyone.
    A boost to my desire for wanting to see the film.

4. Raos
    Date: Sun, Mar 25 2012 17:18:08

I foudn the movie a disappointment and I disagree with the cinematography. I have studied these things before and I believe they could have done much better

5. Fuse
    Date: Sun, Mar 25 2012 17:30:09

The third book is awful, there was almost nothing good about it. The movie looks good, though I haven't seen it yet (waiting for all of the Peeta fangirls to stop seeing it). The books are okay overall, but the writing is childish and I don't like Katniss at all. ***SPOILER ALERT*** The second book was really cool with the clock arena. The third book was total crap, especially since Katniss's hormones run rampant the entire time and characters die crappy deaths (like Finnick). Gale just goes to another district randomly, and Peeta and Katniss make beautiful babies who play in the same place that a bunch of District 12 people died.

6. Dris
    Date: Sun, Mar 25 2012 17:56:46

Personally, the only book that was a bit "eh" was the third one in my opinion. Anyway, the movie was good. I thought that there could have been a bit more, but with what they had, it was definitely worth seeing.

7. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Mar 25 2012 19:48:21

why watch this when battle royale came out a long time ago

8. strat1227
    Date: Sun, Mar 25 2012 20:15:53

Raos wrote: I have studied these things before and I believe they could have done much better
    implying he knows more than millionaire directors

9. Raos
    Date: Sun, Mar 25 2012 20:16:45

Zombo wrote: why watch this when battle royale came out a long time ago
    ikr? The book and movie were far more superior and lol

10. webspider
    Date: Mon, Mar 26 2012 19:25:18

@Zombo: I've asked myself exactly the same thing after having read the synopsis, because it sounded like a kid-friendly version of it to me. So tell me, is it like Twilight or Harry Potter or actually worth a watch?

11. Sc00t
    Date: Mon, Mar 26 2012 20:06:26

i was expecting more gore, but it was good.

12. EINTKALILFG
    Date: Wed, Mar 28 2012 07:57:59

@Raos Considering your extensive "study" of the art of cinematography, my amateur attempt to defend my point is most likely an act of futility but I enjoy a good challenge so I'll give it a go. The use of the "shaky camera" during scenes of combat proves a useful technique in defining the brutality and overwhelming chaos of the violence while also helping to maintain a visual "morality" in which the most extreme bloodshed is left to your imagination. This is a viable and necessary protection of the film's overall marketability by preserving it's PG-13 rating without detracting from the overall appeal of the experience. Not only did they skirt an R rating but they did so in a way that made sense; in a way that actually improved the movie. The characters were disoriented, confused, and running on pure instinct. The way it was shot reinforces that tone, mood, and direction. The use of overlaid commentary and "behind the scenes" shots of Seneca and the other Gamemakers was outstanding as well as it allowed explanations (Tracker Jackers) and implications (of Gamemaker involvement in pushing the action) that, in literary form, were only available in Katniss' head to be put in the movie in a way that lent itself to a format for reality television/competitions that most are already familiar with. Its that sense of realism that, through the use of cinematography, allows you to connect with what you're seeing without it feeling forced. Also, on a similair subject, I thought the use of "natural" sound and an absence of a score in key scenes (like the Reaping) was brilliant. All too often movies use the score as a means to let the audience know how they should feel. A melancholy violin tells you "Now is the time to feel sad" or a rising percussive element alerts you to the fact that the scene is steeped in suspense; It all equates to an insult to the audience's intelligence and I loved the fact that it was left out of this movie. Now, this may not qualify as "cinematography" in a traditional sense but what it does is create an atmosphere that allows for a greater degree of realism and a heightened ability to suspend disbelief which, in my amateur opinion, makes for a much more enjoyable movie experience. Conclusion: I thought the cinematography was outstanding and if you care to make an attempt to refute my belief with an opinion of your own, bring a bit more to the table than an unfounded claim of extensive "study."

13. AoD1
    Date: Wed, Mar 28 2012 08:10:00

may luck be ever in your favor

14. Demon
    Date: Wed, Mar 28 2012 10:22:27

lol im watching this sunday ^^ hoping its good

15. Greenman
    Date: Wed, Mar 28 2012 13:43:15

Demon wrote: lol im watching this saturday ^^ hoping its good
    It is I love it so much!

16. Karrot
    Date: Wed, Mar 28 2012 21:03:48

watching it this weekend ^^ The third book was bad though (imo)

17. Fuse
    Date: Wed, Mar 28 2012 21:17:31

+1 @Zombo, Battle Royale was a great book with a great ending. You really connected with each character and Koushun Takami writes an amazing story. Battle Royale was definitely better than the Hunger Games, though the latter is a good book too.

18. Boddie
    Date: Fri, Mar 30 2012 18:08:48

I read the first book, and enjoyed it. Then i read the reviews for book two (love triangle, repetition, ect.) and i was not interested. Out of boredom a couple weeks later, i read the second and third. And guess what? It was just how i thought. The books got worse by the chapter. Predictable, boring. Haven't seen the movie, probs will sometime. Not really expecting much.

19. Soren
    Date: Mon, Nov 5 2012 18:15:16

My god was the third book boring as hell; and they're planning to split the last book into two films? Well, I'll like to see how that works out...