UPSB v4

General Discussion / CWG - Round 2 Information and Round 1 Result Information

1. neoknux_009
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 12:35:19

CWG Spinners. Thankyou for being very patient of whats been happening lately. =================================================== [B]-The Round 1 Story-[/B] Round 1 was pretty messy. This was due to a mixture of odd organizing and quite abit of lateness. The following errors happened: -Mixture between min and max time limits -People who did not place the required round number (10) -Late video Posting -UK Dropping out Suddenly -not having a full set of judges and not knowing since not all teams verified that they had judges or not. [B]WE HAVE 3 JUDGES NOT 6[/B] (should be 5 since uk dropped out) -The judges did not submit on time. But the following also happened: - Great video's from everyone - The single account section seemed to work fine. - The score sheet worked quite beautifully - Everyone remained calm. =========================================================== FOR THE TIME BEING WE CAN IGNORE THE FACT THAT NOT ALL JUDGES HAVE SUBMITTED (WE HAVE 2, 4 and 5, you can help spam them on upsb too ;]) . I HAVE 2 RESULTS SO FAR FROM CWGJUDGE5 and CWGJUDGE4. I AM TRYING TO GET INCONTACT WITH CWGJUDGE2. THIS DOES NOT AFFECT ROUND 2! SO PLEASE LETS MOVE FOWARD AND CONTINUE MAKING GOOD VIDEOS. ONCE JUDGE 2 SENDS WE WILL UPLOAD AVERAGES ASAP. ======================================================= -Round 2 Information- These videos are due 1 week from now. That is [B]August 3rd[/B] please upload unto CWG youtube account and try to place into proper playlist. The following were the chosen themes for Round 2: Artistic Theme: [B]Body and Enivironment[/B] Technical Theme: [B]Wipers[/B] Third Battle Type: [B]Doubles Match[/B] The following were the side games picked for round 2: [B]No X Finger (No use of Pinky, Ring, Middle, Index or Thumb) Combo [/B] This is a combo where you try your best in not using a finger. It should show your skill in not needing a certain finger, and the combo should emphasize that you dont use it. For example sticking your middle finger down for most the combo, or clealy skipping it and using only 1,3 4 and T, is a "No Middle Finger Combo". Fratleym again has good examples of this and i will try to locate the collab which emphasized this skill. (NB Sprinfield specifed it is only for one finger left out, not for several) [B]Style Copy Combo[/B] Originally i was planning on choosing several styles to copy, but that would be unfair to many styles not picked. The spinner may choose any style to try and copy (except themselves). Clearly recreating an appealing style is important here. For example, recerating a common style is not as appealing a style such as Seven, or a style which emphaiszes certain tricks such as peem. IE, [B]have a clear style copy[/B], [B]and include a link of a video [/B](a single video, or solo etc in the lower descriptionbox) which emphasize your copied spinner's style. Having similar camera angles, and pen mods is also important (but not necessary). [B]The key here is the feel of the video[/B]. It should feel like you [B]are[/B] this spinner. I reccomend you choose a famous spinner for this reason, but this is not necessary. ============================================================== [B]Round 2 changes[/B] Time limit is changed to 10 - 25 seconds. Also I am being more strict with the rules this round. 1. Video's without the number (7 for this roudn) will have a reduction of 20% of their score. 2. Video's that are over or under by: 1 or 2 seconds will have a reduction of 10% of their score. 3 - 5 seconds a reductino of 20%. Any greater is disqaulified. 3. Lateness of not submitting your video by the due date will have a reduction of 25% for 1 day late, disqualified if any later. ========================================================== goodluck. ========================================

2. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 13:40:14

CWGJUDGE2 is not a real judge, its a duplicate account of either judge4 or 5.

3. CWGJudge4
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 14:15:34

Sounds Good. I think we definitely require an additional judge at least however.

4. cyshing
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 14:27:55

neo, so you're calculating the points? Do other team coordinators still need to do the calculation? because i did not receive from CWGJudge4. Should i PM and ask from Judge4? You can do better next time, neo. And good luck everyone! :)

5. CWGJudge4
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 14:35:43

Shall I post the results up here instead?

6. SPRiNGFiELD
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 14:36:58

YES XD

7. miyat
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 14:42:04

Question: How does the min/max time limit work for the doubles battle?

8. CWGJudge4
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 14:50:45

Australia - 78 Canada - 58.34 Malaysia - 74 NZ - 71.67 Singapore - 58.67 Side game: Finger Dexterity 30 - Australia 10 - Singapore 10 - Malaysia (ie, Tied 2nd place) Side game: Light Mods Tie between participating countries for 1st place.

9. Kirby
    Date: Tue, Jul 27 2010 16:14:28

Link to videos?

10. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Jul 28 2010 07:19:14

can the judges post the comments aand the specific score for each battle as well?

11. cyshing
    Date: Wed, Jul 28 2010 08:37:16

Is it the time limit same for Doubles? this is important because the doubles will need to start shooting earlier than other spinners. And yea, pls post the whole result. I thought average score of each spinners need to be calculated in order to add to the country's total score.

12. i.suk
    Date: Wed, Jul 28 2010 09:40:27

in WC, time limit for doubles is 10-25 seconds for each spinner, 5 seconds for transition.

13. neoknux_009
    Date: Fri, Jul 30 2010 04:46:54

agree with isuk. use that.

14. SPRiNGFiELD
    Date: Fri, Jul 30 2010 13:48:10

yeah very good idea to keep those limits

15. Hippo2626
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 06:49:10

I think 1 week is too short for us to film it. Why is it even 1 week? the first round was 2 weeks? It's really to short for me anyways.

16. walkingjacket
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 07:37:52

Round 1 was only 1 week long actually. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiRblha6uTY&feature=player_embedded - This video was posted on the 12th of July http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=761 - The due date for the first round was on the 19th of July After that, there was a week of a judging before the start of the second round. I do agree that it is quite harsh (especially on those who have to film more than one combo (main game + side game)), but I guess that's part of the challenge =/.

17. Hippo2626
    Date: Tue, Aug 3 2010 11:26:53

Oh really? I had no idea. If that's the case than perhaps some leeway should be given? Perhaps one days grace???

18. neoknux_009
    Date: Wed, Aug 4 2010 00:27:56

if have uploaded your video within reason, ie maybe 5 -6 hours late i really wont mind. But i have already placed point deductions if you are late etc, like a whole day late and more. Right, while ive set the due dates as 1 week, you still have whenever you want to for preperaption...ill explain. All the themes have already been chosen, and of cousre there are only a couple of themes left. So for example spinless is still a theme that will pop up. You can prepare for this theme weeks b4 hand, its just that you have to tape within the 1 week given. but i agree with walking jacket its also a challenge. It measures more a spinners consistancy, and less on persistance (which is still very important too, but yeah) . Im aware there are spinners this comp who can only tape on a certain days, but try to prepare the themes b4 hand so on the day of taping you can get it easier. I would try to defend myself in that during the weeks of tournament preperation there wasnt any indication of proposed due dates from any spinners. My main focus was getting competitors, and even so a whole country dropped out. this is my first organization of such a large tournament and i dont have much of a comitee . Im organizing the tournament, i had to create the judge system, im a team coordinator, and im a comeptitor. I clearly have room for improvement and shuold have seen these problems b4 hand. But round 2 is looking good, and despite the fact that we had a rough first round im quite happy that the countries are compeiting. Also i was able to get another judge, who i will have to reveal to everyone since he is no going to by anonymous adn since i know who he is, everyone has to know.

19. AlienX
    Date: Wed, Aug 4 2010 09:16:39

Um.... some questions, for the body and environment theme, how does the time limit count? Cuz Ellusion's was 20 sec, Ali3nX 25sec, Pen-ninja 37(including a fan spin?)sec and Hippo 1 min(includes a seven's combo and editing timing) And can the judges plz put each main themes' results(each spinner's) as well for I guess spinners want to know how they did?(At least I do =)) Thanks Neo....you must be really busy~ And good luck to all spinners in round 3~!

20. cyshing
    Date: Wed, Aug 4 2010 14:17:52

Time limit should be measured by combo length, not video length.

21. Pen Ninja
    Date: Wed, Aug 4 2010 15:12:53

my combo starts at 1 and ends at 25 = 25sec hippo's starts at about 3 and ends at about 23 = 20sec

22. AlienX
    Date: Wed, Aug 4 2010 23:37:16

K.......I get it then~:) Pen-ninja, we met again, singles of round 1 and the 2 themes of round 2= = Everyone is soooo pro XD

23. Hippo2626
    Date: Thu, Aug 5 2010 01:03:14

A lot of the videos were below 15 seconds. Will they get penalised for that?

24. walkingjacket
    Date: Thu, Aug 5 2010 03:42:35

@Hippo2626 The time limit was changed to 10 - 25 seconds in round 1 (On the first page of this thread, it says round 2, but no one was penalised for the first round as there were a few errors in the organising of this event). Neoknux_009 thought the World Cup limit was 15 - 25 seconds so that was the initial time limit. (Refer to the comments in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cxUMfOz_1E) Videos over or under the time limit of 10 - 25 seconds will have a reduction. 1-2 seconds will result in a reduction of 10%, 3-5 will result in a reduction of 20%. Anything beyond that is a disqualification. All of the videos (that I've seen as of now) has been at least 10 seconds long so I don't think they will get a reduction in their score.

25. neoknux_009
    Date: Thu, Aug 5 2010 12:12:30

agree. agree. agree. im very happy with this rounds videos. ;D anyone want to make a best of round video?

26. Hippo2626
    Date: Thu, Aug 5 2010 14:01:03

@neo hinting to ellusion? haha Yea I liked this round as well. Sad that the Canadian team and PSUK aren't really participating...

27. SPRiNGFiELD
    Date: Thu, Aug 5 2010 14:22:08

hmm whos picking the themese next round

28. ellusion67
    Date: Thu, Aug 5 2010 19:17:31

neoknux_009 wrote: agree. agree. agree. im very happy with this rounds videos. ;D anyone want to make a best of round video?
    check this out http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=1191&p=12933#post12933

29. neoknux_009
    Date: Thu, Aug 5 2010 23:45:27

omg ellusion i love you!!! i will try to link it to pscommonwealthgames' main page.

30. Zubola
    Date: Wed, Aug 11 2010 04:49:20

[spoiler="Description"]PS CWG R1 - Freeman Singles Awesome showed smooth arounds with his left hand, but not with his right. The overall combo lacks on variety, as it’s too short. Also the big paper distracted from the pen. SPRINGFIELD’s combo was very visually appealing, I liked a lot both tricks on 0:04 and 0:14. The hand movements help to keep the spectator watchful for then performing a nice sequence. There are some linkages that could have done better though. Ellusion67’s powertricking is pretty smooth, but there is some execution flaw and offcam. A tidy desk would help on presentation. Pen Ninja did a great combination of nice linkages and difficult tricks. The execution and flow is not perfect in many points, but at the same time other sequences are very well executed. The finisher is too sudden, a bit anticlimactic; seemed weak comparing it to the overall combo. Juminuwo’s combo has a big contraposition: most of linkages are smooth and seem effortless, but when he does an important trick he needs a bit more of impulse. It’s like he keeps a good momentum but needs more in that situation, a good example is the finisher. There’s a bit of spam of some trick. Ali3nX’s starter is nice, but could have been more appealing. The angle is right for the opening and tricks like baks, the Palmspin and the transfer to his left hand, but not for the arounds and hybrids he performs at the middle of the combo. Also there’s a structural error: I think the Palmspin Rev sequence should have appeared in the middle, and keep the Cont FL TA as a finisher. Btw, after this fake finisher there’s an smoothness flaw. Aerials Twine’s combo is smooth and contains various (but not varied, most of them are around releases) and well executed aerials. I like the direction change on 0:03. Aerials have more weight at the first half though. Wind started with entertaining aerials, but then the combo went a bit spamish to get the pen in the right position and execute a few more aerials. Kari-Chan’s combo needs more aerials, also more control of them and other parts of the combo. There’s too many black in the video, a full white mod could be nice to see there. raTS96’s combo has few aerials, but well executed. The second half of the combo needed more aerials. He interrupted a nice flow on 0:08, also on 0:15 we see some powertricking that leads to offcam. i.suk’s video contains several power aerials, but not perfectly executed. It needs better lighting. The aerial on 0:22 is nice. Creativity Miyat’s starter is very eye-catching, but pitifully his combo didn’t present more creative elements. His spinning is smooth, but the finisher was too sudden. Also the hair was so annoying >.< I didn’t see any creativity in Chiayi’s combo, only regular tricks and linkages. The combo itself is pretty varied, but needs better presentation. The isolation and 1P2H tricks shown in Hippo2626’s combo are too overused nowadays. All these elements were original one year ago, but not now, after seeing those hundreds of times. At the same time they are easy tricks to perform. The “pushing the pen with the other hand” was neither original. On the other hand, uncapping the pen in a combo has to be explored deeply. The move on 0:25-0:26 was nice too. Neoknux worked in different elements on his combo. The starter is nice: he uses his offhand to push two pens placed in his right hand to perform simultaneous 2P1H wipers. This, and also the use of the offhand to execute arounds that is shown two times in the video, has to be researched more in combos. The use of the elbow to do a Wiper was already seen in TOPS #2, but he found another way to link it. The use of the elements has appeared in several videos before (air to push a pen, a burning mod, spinning underwater…), but what about earth (sand in this case). Though it was not impressive, was original indeed. Btw, I wonder if he hit the pen on purpose (when it fell). Yosky did some unfrequent linkages, but not really creative tricks. On the other hand, his combo is smooth and well executed.[/spoiler] [spoiler="Scores"]Main Battles: Australia: 63 Canada: 54.33 Malaysia: 55.33 New Zealand: 62.67 Singapore: 55.33 United Kingdom: 18.67 Side Games: Finger Dexterity: 1. Australia: 30 2. Singapore: 20 3. Malaysia: 10 Light Mods: 1. Malaysia: 30 2. New Zealand: 20 3. Singapore: 10[/spoiler]

31. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Aug 11 2010 05:22:50

To Freeman, I think you missed out a big part of my combo which was trying to in-cooperate dance moves (I believe from the lightshow thingy) into pen spinning in 0.08 - 0.10 and 0.14 with the wave thing which was really unsmooth and unperfect.