UPSB v4

Forum Games / Linq - Rules and General Thread

1. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Mar 10 2012 17:08:01

I want to try this game, it looks really interesting. I think it would be better suited as a live game using shoutbox. Players: 4-8 Time: 10 minutes/round (live), 3-4 days (forum) Objective: Two players play the role of [B]spies[/B]. They do not know each other and must try to figure out who their partner is. All the other players are [B]double agents[/B], who try to correctly identify the pair of spies. Gameplay: Spies will receive the same secret word. Double agents receive no information. Players will take their turn saying a single word. The word can be anything: noun, verb, pronoun, onomatopoeia, etc. However if a player is a spy, s/he cannot say the secret word or any word that includes the secret word in it. Double agents can say anything they want since they don't know what the secret word is! After every player had a chance to say a word, we go around in the same order again. When everybody have said their second word, players will secretly vote who they think are the spies. If you are a spy yourself, you just need to find who your partner is. Scoring: (don't worry about this too much) If the spies correctly identify each other = +3 points If the spies fail to identify each other = +1 point for each double agent, -1 point for spies, +1 point to any double agent which was identified by a spy If the spies are correctly identified by a double agent = -1 point for the spies for each double agent correct guess Updated scoring: if spies fail to identify each other, double agents win. If a double agent identify the spies correctly, s/he wins. Any double agent who correctly guess the pair of spies can also guess what the secret word is for an extra +1. End of round: Game repeats however many players there are (or as long as you want). Each round has a different secret word and role for each player.

2. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Mar 10 2012 21:27:52

if you want to play just post what time you'd like to play

3. strat1227
    Date: Sat, Mar 10 2012 21:30:31

That scoring is pretty dumb because it doesn't account for how many players there are. if there are 5 players, and 2 double agents recognize the spies, that means they failed to fool 66% of the double agents, but they still get a point if nobody can get the word, that's retarded

4. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Mar 10 2012 22:23:06

strat1227 wrote: That scoring is pretty dumb because it doesn't account for how many players there are. if there are 5 players, and 2 double agents recognize the spies, that means they failed to fool 66% of the double agents, but they still get a point if nobody can get the word, that's retarded
    yeah thats why we dont really play for points I consider spies to win if they identify each other and nobody caught them but in an 8 players game thats really hard tho

5. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Mar 11 2012 00:54:06

next time we'll play on videochat btw

6. Mufoofee
    Date: Sun, Mar 11 2012 01:56:46

I might want to play if you give some scenarios so I can understand this better.

7. strat1227
    Date: Sun, Mar 11 2012 03:04:53

Giving an example is more confusing than just reading the rules, but if you really want one here goes There are 5 players. Two of them are spies and are given the word "cake", but not told who the other spy is. The other 3 aren't given any word, but they don't know who was. Then the 5 players take turns saying a single word until each one has said 2 words. The spies would say things that would tip off the other spy that they know the word, but in a way that doesn't give it away to the other 3. So maybe they'd say "Portal" and "Cup" or something, because they both involve cake, but the other 3 people probably wouldn't think of the word "cake" when seeing that. So after everyone says 2 words, everyone tries to guess who the spies are. If the spies both figure out the other one without getting caught, they win. If they get caught, they lose.

8. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Mar 11 2012 04:20:09

we've decided to start playing in TinyChat instead of shoutbox we are playing now

9. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Mar 18 2012 21:31:30

I am available to play linq later tonight.

10. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Mar 25 2012 22:03:35

Since we're incapable of organizing a decent game over the shoutbox, let's do it on the forum. Sign-up here if you want to play. Needs 5 minimum.

11. Xephoria
    Date: Tue, Mar 27 2012 01:06:43

/in just tell me what time to confirm.

12. shoeman6
    Date: Tue, Mar 27 2012 01:42:47

im in.