UPSB v4

Off-topic / Physics help

1. Raos
    Date: Sun, Mar 4 2012 19:05:24

@strat1227 I need help with my physics hwk mainly on projectile motion. In a physics, experiment, you are rolling a golf ball off a table. Tabletop is 1.22 meters high, golf ball hits ground 1.52 m from the table, what was initial velocity. Will a tennis ball served horizontally 100km/h from a height of 2.2m clear a net 0.90 meters high and travel 11m away? Will a football kicked at 14.0m's vertically and 9.0m/s horizontally clear a bus 3.0m high and 20 m away. Solve in 2 different ways. Beanbag launched in air out of open window with velocity of 4.5 m/s at an angle of 25 degrees above horizontal. Window is 12 m above ground, how far will the beanbag go. A cannon is tilted at 45 degrees from horizontal and is placed in a whole in the ground so the ball is fired at ground level. The time for it to hit the ground was 3.78s. a) What is the speed of the cannon ball when it leaves the cannon. b) What is the horizontal distance the cannon ball travels. A ball is kicked with an initial velocity of 16.5m/s at an angle of 35 degrees above horizontal. a) Calculate the balls time of flight b) Calculate the range (horizontal distance) of the ball traveled c) Calculate the maximum height. (got this one) A ball is kicked. The time it took to hit the ground was 2.2 s, range of 17 m and maximum height of 5.2m. a) what is the initial speed with which the ball is kicked? b) What is the angle at which the ball was kicked

2. Epic Holiday
    Date: Sun, Mar 4 2012 19:36:16

LALALAL HERE

3. I Need BrainZ!
    Date: Sun, Mar 4 2012 20:50:18

a.)

Spoiler [/URL] [/URL]
    b.)
    Spoiler
    Enjoy. (Last one)

4. Frip
    Date: Sun, Mar 4 2012 20:51:28

Use those

5. strat1227
    Date: Sun, Mar 4 2012 23:31:00

lol tell me which one you need help with and i'll do it, i'm not doing your whole hw assignment for you

6. Raos
    Date: Sun, Mar 4 2012 23:52:53

the canon one and the 2nd ball one

7. strat1227
    Date: Sun, Mar 4 2012 23:54:47

K i'll work on it and try to show you how to do it

8. strat1227
    Date: Mon, Mar 5 2012 00:06:05

@Raos

9. strat1227
    Date: Mon, Mar 5 2012 00:15:38

@Raos

10. MickChickenn
    Date: Mon, Mar 5 2012 03:53:10

What I have to look foward to in school.

11. Krypton
    Date: Mon, Mar 5 2012 11:28:40

Strat is awesome.

12. ChainBreak
    Date: Mon, Mar 5 2012 14:05:09

Actually solving the equation without using all the numbers is a lot easier and you will make less mistakes. Also you don't have to write huge equations if there are larger numbers used.

13. Raos
    Date: Sun, Apr 1 2012 23:37:05

@start1337 Two People start running from rest. The first person has a mass of 59kg and is wearing dress shoes with a coefficient of static friction of 0.52. The other person is wearing running shoes with a coefficient of static friction of 0.66. a) Calculate the maximum possible initial acceleration of the person wearing dress shoes. b) Explain why we do not really need the mass of either person when finding the initial maximum possible acceleration. c) Determine the ratio of the two accelerations and compare it to the ratio of the two coefficients of friction. 2. A skater with mass 58kg is holding one end of a rope and standing at rest on ice. Assume no friction. Another person with mass 78kg is standing just off the ice on level ground and is holding the other end of the rope. The person standing on the ground pulls on the rope to accelerate the skater forward. The coefficient of static friction between the ground and the off-ice person is 0.65. Calculate the maximum possible acceleration of the skater.

14. start1337
    Date: Sun, Apr 1 2012 23:41:02

Force from friction = uFn -> uFg -> umg Set F=ma -> umg = ma -> ug=a a1/a2 = u1g/u2g = u1/u2

15. Raos
    Date: Sun, Apr 1 2012 23:42:41

start1337 wrote: Force from friction = uFn -> uFg -> umg Set F=ma -> umg = ma -> ug=a a1/a2 = u1g/u2g = u1/u2
    I dont know how to answer part b though and what about the 2nd question

16. start1337
    Date: Sun, Apr 1 2012 23:47:19

@Raos you don't need mass because it cancels out. That's the mathematical answer. The logical answer is that the force of gravity from earth doesn't depend on the object's mass (the difference is negligible.) #2 is similar to the first but the m is the sum of the two masses

17. Raos
    Date: Sun, Apr 1 2012 23:51:11

start1337 wrote: @Raos you don't need mass because it cancels out. That's the mathematical answer. The logical answer is that the force of gravity from earth doesn't depend on the object's mass (the difference is negligible.) #2 is similar to the first but the m is the sum of the two masses
    ok thanks

18. Raos
    Date: Sun, Apr 22 2012 00:45:13

@strat1227 ok heres basically a quick summary of our final project. You need to build a vehicle that will first launch an object forward without moving. Then the vehicle must then move forward by itself. (Hold on the cart, launch projectile, then let go, car must move forward). The vehicle must drive itself forward and stop as close to the object as possible. The driving part its easy, its just how do I launch, stop the car and let it go and the car moves by itself without loosing energy. (idk how) Hardest part is to have the vehicle move and stop as close to the projectile part. (Like idk how) All motion must be elastic powered (ie. springs, rubber bands. mouse traps etc) All elastic energy must be stored prior to the launch. (no modifications before releasing the car aside from altering direction) I was thinking of incorporating the mouse trap catapult and car together somehow, but I predicted that it will loose energy after the launch. Other than that i have no ideas. Projectile, cart material is up to you. How it works and built is up to you. Score is based on how far the object is launched and how close the vehicle gets to the landed object. K thats it so im clueless atm

19. Raos
    Date: Thu, May 3 2012 03:48:20

[QUOTE=Raos;193945]@strat1227

20. Awesome
    Date: Thu, May 3 2012 04:11:13

look at the mechanism used for those pull back cars. you just gotta use a spring that drives an axel. For the catapault you can make a "mouse trap catapault", just take a mouse trap and block it with a hunk of wood so it wont go past perpendicular to the board its on.

21. Raos
    Date: Sun, May 6 2012 21:51:43

Awesome wrote: look at the mechanism used for those pull back cars. you just gotta use a spring that drives an axel. For the catapault you can make a "mouse trap catapault", just take a mouse trap and block it with a hunk of wood so it wont go past perpendicular to the board its on.
    thanks awesome. Your awesome I can see this working for me