UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / modrod "GET A GRIP!" contest thread || PHOTOS ONLY ||

1. modrod
    Date: Wed, Feb 29 2012 20:21:15

This is the thread to post your entries for the modrod "GET A GRIP!" contest. Contest officially starts on March 1st. Please only post photos on this thread, place all comments on the regular modrod thread. Here are the contest rules:

Spoiler[COLOR="magenta"]modrod "GET A GRIP" contest[/COLOR] Contest will begin March 1st. It's a combined contest. You can spin, or mod, or both. The contest will run until April 15th. At that time the UPSB will vote on [B]NINE[/B] different categories. The winner of each category will win [COLOR="magenta"][B]$50.oo USD[/B][/COLOR]. Here are the categories: Best overall mod Best use of color Best use of modrod grips Best use of modrod barrel Best classic mod * Best original mod ** Best use of grip cuts *** Best spinner Best modder * A classic mod is mod where a tutorial already exists, but where modrod grips or barrel have been utilized in whole or in part - which would certainly not constitute a new mod. ** An original mod is a mod where no tutorial can be found. If there is some disagreement here, it will be settled by UPSB vote. *** The grip that is cut does not have to be a modrod grip - of course, that might be very impressive considering they where not designed for that purpose! RULES are going to be very simple. #1. Has to have at least some part of a modrod grip or barrel on the mod you are displaying or spinning for it to count. #2. One spinner or modder can only win up to two categories. #3. As many entries allowed per contestant as they desire. #4. There will be one vote once the contest is complete to determine the winners. #5. By placing entry on the modrod thread, you agree to give free license to modrod for the use of all photos, videos, and mod designs that you post in exchange for the opportunity to win cash prizes. #6. All spinners please include a still photo (or video close up) of the mod that you used in the video. #7. All modders please include parts list of your mod. Lengths and weights are appreciated, but not mandatory. #8. When posting an entry that you believe to be an original, please designate it as such.

2. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Mar 1 2012 06:33:25

Well I guess I'll start with mine :) This is my entry for the classic mod category. I hope you enjoy :) [SPOILER="Just a side note:"]I know people might not like that I have the clear Modrod grips but I received them in return for releasing my Split Mod before the start of the competition. Also, they were the last of their kind and were defective in that they tapered very awkwardly.[/SPOILER]

3. Froggy
    Date: Thu, Mar 1 2012 07:28:50

Video coming soon. Frog~

4. +Guitrum+
    Date: Thu, Mar 1 2012 07:35:23

[SIZE="3"]-"Original Mod/Best use of Modrod Grips" Entry-[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"][Name]:[/SIZE] [SIZE="5"]Modrod le Grip by Guitrum[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"][Description]:[/SIZE] This mod takes advantage of the custom Modrod barrel as well as the custom grips. The large inner diameter that the barrel provides allows for grips to be cut in such a way that they can be applied on the inside. This creates the most color-accurate insert in comparison to the grips on the ends. The retractable mechanism uses a strategic placement of toothpicks alongside the Z-Grip mechanism. In order to balance the mod out, a Signo tip is hidden underneath the grips, inverted of course. With grips inside the barrel, the pen feels solid when spun, yet nicely weighted as well as dampens the sound of the inktube. When the mod is spun, there is little to no rattling making this the perfect retractable mod. [SIZE="3"][Stats]:[/SIZE] Length: 20.5 cm Weight: 21 grams [SIZE="3"][Materials Used]:[/SIZE] 1x Modrod custom barrel 4-5x Modrod custom grips (3 sectioned grips, 1-2 smooth grips) 1x Uni-Ball Impact RT (metal tip and plastic inktip holder) 1x BIC Round Stic Clic (barrel, plastic tip and inner retractable mechanism plastic) 1-2x Zebra Z-Grip (1-2 grips (can be subbed with sailor grips), inktube, spring and retractable mechanism) 1x Uni-Ball Signo (metal tip) ~ 2x toothpicks ======================================================================= [SIZE="3"]-"Best use of Modrod grips/Best use of grip cuts" Entry-[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"][Name]:[/SIZE] [SIZE="5"]Perforated Grip concept by Guitrum[/SIZE] *note: the entry is only supposed to be the grip concept, not the mod as a whole. the grips were just applied to a random body and random tips were added to show how the grip concept would be applied to a mod. [SIZE="3"][Description]:[/SIZE] While the custom Modrod grips with sections are easy to cut into stripes, the unique, smooth characteristic allowed for a conecpt of mine to be applied. Two grips of different colors had holes punched in them in the exact same places and the dots that were then punched out were replaced in their exact opposite positions. I also took advantage of the fact that both styles of grips resembled the same shape and contour. This being said, the stripes were taken from the striped grips and then applied on the smooth grips where the stripes would be if the smooth grips had stripes. Overall, this should only be looked at as a concept. [SIZE="3"][Stats]:[/SIZE] Length: n/a Weight: n/a [SIZE="3"][Materials Used]:[/SIZE] 4x Modrod custom grips (2 sectioned, 2 smooth grips) ======================================================================= [SIZE="3"]-"Best use of Modrod barrel" Mod Entry-[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"][Name]:[/SIZE] [SIZE="5"]The Modrod Portable by Guitrum[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"][Description]:[/SIZE] The way the Modrod barrel is designed allows for a BIC Round Stic barrel to fit inside snuggly with an insert inbetween the two. The mod is breakable in the middle to allow the mod to be folded and stored in your pocket easier. The mod utilizes the rubberband method used in my Breaker Mod to hold the two pieces together in your pocket. Because the insert holds the BIC barrel in snuggly, the mod can be connected together snuggly making a collapsable mod that does not rattle when spun. [SIZE="3"][Stats]:[/SIZE] Length: 21 cm Weight: 19 grams [SIZE="3"][Materials Used]:[/SIZE] 2x Modrod custom grips (2 smooth grips) 1x Modrod custom barrel 3x BIC Round Stic Grip (2 barrels and 3 plastic grip holders) 2x Uni-Ball Jetstream (2 metal tips) 2x Papermate Profile (2 grips (can be subbed with other grips)) ~ 1x toothpick 2x paper inserts 1x rubberband ======================================================================= [SIZE="3"]-Spontaneous Mod Entry-[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"][Name]:[/SIZE] [SIZE="5"]"unnamed"[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"][Description]:[/SIZE] This mod just explores the possibilities of using Modrod grips on Modrod barrels as "caps". The body and caps are separated by a BIC Round Stic covered in the inner large spring from a Dr. Grip. This mod also compares how the grips applied on the inside of the barrel can mirror the grips on the ends of the pen not only in scheme but in exact color. [SIZE="3"][Stats]:[/SIZE] Length: 23 cm Weight: 21 grams [SIZE="3"][Materials Used]:[/SIZE] 2x Modrod custom grips (2 striped grips) 1x Modrod custom barrel 2x Papermate Profile (2 grips) 1x Sailor grip 2x Uni-Ball Signo (2 metal tips 1x BIC Round Stic (body 2x Pilot Dr. Grip (2 large springs) ~ 2x small paper inserts

5. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Mar 3 2012 14:49:11

Entry for Best Original Mod [video=youtube;TJ4mdEl768Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ4mdEl768Y[/video] My entry, Modrod G3. I'll get some pictures tomorrow, but here is the video that shows it off. Materials: Dong-A computer sign pen cap G3 barrel, tip and grip Hyperjell or Jimnie cap Hyperjell or jimnie grip G2 grip Modrod grip Anyball grip OR a section of modrod grip KS Sporty tip Note: I used a jimnie cap and anyball grip in my design. Update: The modrod G3 is dead, while trying to remove the clip from the jimnie cap I broke the cap in half, I then used the grip and recycled it into other mods. Sorry. Due to the above entries I have designed a second entry which I am currently considering ordering. It will be entered in the same category once made.

6. Fryuo
    Date: Wed, Mar 7 2012 22:33:56

well, thanks @Froggy for his firefly g3 ft. modrod stuff. i made it a little differeent tho, i just need to cut the barrel 1IN for it to be perfect CLICK THE PICTURE OF THE MOD BELOW TO WATCH VIDEO (sun) & a pic

7. FireIce
    Date: Thu, Mar 8 2012 00:11:12

its a decent mod, though im not sure if someone has made something similar to this. approx 17.5g 20.5 cm long COG: COP [B]made of:[/B] modrod barrel bic velocity grips some random rings i found. fake sailorgel rings twist-ease tips bic Z4 grip entry for.... best use of color best use of modrod barrel best overall mod

8. Fuse
    Date: Sat, Mar 10 2012 19:44:56

MRM by Fuse *ORIGINAL MOD* Entry For: Best overall mod Best use of color Best use of modrod grips Best use of modrod barrel Best original mod Best modder (Stats): Description: This simple mod is great for spinning because of the large amount of spinning space. The modrod barrel makes the insert really stand out. The bright green modrod grips give it a great spinning effect. Length: 19.75cm (with 1cm cut from body) Weight: Waterfall (Comssa)

9. purplet
    Date: Tue, Mar 13 2012 18:09:47

Entry for: whatever u want Stats: length: depends on how much u cut the Modrod barrel weight: depends on how much u cut the modrod barrel pro: -its a clean mod -many colours available -awesome modrod barrel for best looking inserts -perfect writing mechanism => u can screw off the front tip to change inktube con: -theres no awesome black and white modrip grip yet so u cant use it for my temporarely second most favourite colour combination=>need for non modrod grips

10. Epic Holiday
    Date: Thu, Mar 15 2012 16:53:04

Link This is a [B]Metal Modrod Comssa[/B]. Spins good. It has about 22,5 cm but can be reduced in 1 cm more or less cutting the grip in 1 "line" each side. But if you are using HGG tips it can be 19,9cm or more. In this mod I used Signo tips to make it heavier than using a HGG. Very Easy to make/assemble. Many color combinations --Body can be Black or White-- Caps have more than 11 colors as I remember -- Anyball grips have 10 colors -- The color scheme I used is called "complementary colors" (Blue+Orange, Red+green, etc) Length: 22,5cm (Can be reduced up to 19,9cm with HGG tips) Weight: Modrod Metal Comssa [COLOR="navy"]I used: 2 Half Segmented Modrod grips (Lime Green and Skyblue). --- So you pretty much can use only one in this mod. :) --- 2 Anyball/profile Grips 2 Signo Tips --- Can use HGG to be cheaper and smaller --- 2 Comssa Caps 1 Comssa body with backplug[/COLOR] Price: Cheapest possible: 2,50 + 1,38 + 1,40 + 1,00 = 6,28 USD on Penwish Most expensive possible: 5,00 + 1,38 + 2,38 + 0,50 + 1,20 = 10,46 USD on Penwish The most expensive possible has, of course, way more color customizations : 2 Modrod grips, 2 anyball grips color , 2 signo tips, 1 colored comssa cap, 1 comssa with a colored cap.

11. Syrti
    Date: Thu, Mar 15 2012 21:45:28

This is a [B]light[/B] modrod f1r3fly mod! Stats: Length: 20cm Weight: ~13,5g COG=COP=COSS Materials used: 1x modrod barrel 2x modrod grip (+2 seperate modrod rings) 1x Dr.Grip grip (0,8cm) 1x Signo tip 1x HGG grip 1x HGG tip Sailor rings Entry for: all (except Best Spinner) If not able to do so: 1. Best use of grip cuts 2. Best classic mod 3. Best use of color 4. Best overall mod 5. Best modder

12. Chobi
    Date: Sat, Mar 17 2012 16:22:42

Inspired by the mod Caras used in his Asian Cup 2008 R1 video, a mod Tose referred to as simply "Caras mod" For best use of colour and best spinner (vid will come soon) Stats Length: 21.5cm Weight: A bit less than a Waterfall mod with half a Dr. Grip per side Materials: 2x Modrod grip 2x Comssa cap 2x Signo tip 1x Reynolds Superlavable body (would have used modrod barrel, don't have one.) 1x RSVP grip (or some random grip about same thickness, just to hold tips in place.)

13. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Mar 18 2012 20:26:03

Promo video: [video=youtube;jj14V3aaRCY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj14V3aaRCY[/video] Length: 21.5cm Style: Single Capped. Weight: 27g Parts: 2 Dr grip grips 1 Dr Grip tip. 2 Gripmatic tips 1 Gripmatic grip. 1 G3 Cap 1 G3 tip 1 Signo Tip 1 HGG Tip 1 Dong-A anyball grip 1 Sailer Gel grip. @modrod Entry for: Best Overall Mod Best Original Mod Best Modder

14. Syrti
    Date: Sun, Mar 18 2012 23:39:18

@modrod: Stats: 19cm ~14g Materials: 1x modrod barrel 4x modrod grip (only one necessary!) 2x Gripmatic tip Entry for: Best use of color Best overall mod Best modder Best use of grips

15. Froggy
    Date: Thu, Mar 22 2012 08:55:16

Ayatori with modrod grip :P bad pic thou :( Frog~

16. Fryuo
    Date: Fri, Mar 23 2012 23:29:12

ok well i didnt want to release these today, but im doing it anyways. tell me what u think. theres a video and pics. place me into any category to place me in! [video=youtube;YJh_2hOVqAA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJh_2hOVqAA[/video] This is my modrod waterfall. rsvp modrod kt a personal supawit dc mod. has a hint of modrod grip in it so idk ill just throw it in this thread (sun)

17. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sat, Mar 24 2012 15:57:20

Not sure if I'll have enough time to make another entry. So I decided to just submit this one anyways. Split Mod ^_^ [video=youtube;QFxjofHn_pA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFxjofHn_pA[/video]

18. Zu
    Date: Fri, Apr 6 2012 16:29:47

Spoiler
    Modrod 1 : - Modrod barrel - Modrod Grips - Dr. Grip mechanical writing parts - Pentel Forte eraser and lead tube - Penwish O rings (6) - G3 tip and cap - G2 grip - Sailor grip - Some tapes
    Spoiler
    Modrod 2: - Modrod pen - Modrod grips - Penwish O rings (7) - Dr. Grip metal ring - G2 grip
    Spoiler
    Modrod 3: - Modrod Grip - Modrod tip (from the modrod pen) - Buster CYL body (black) - Buster CYL cap (white) - G3 tip, cap, and grip - Penwish O rings (3) - Some tapes
    Spoiler
    Modrod 4: - Modrod Grip - Buster CYL body (black) - Buster CYL caps (2 whites) - Hgg tips (2) - Sailor Grip

19. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Apr 11 2012 00:19:34

Creamsicle

Spoiler Inspired Modrod Waterfall
    Sprite
    Spoiler Inspired Modrod Waterfall
    Parts
    Spoiler1x Modrod grip 2x Signo Tip 2x Reynold Cap 1x Bellcolor body

20. Fryuo
    Date: Sat, Apr 14 2012 13:59:12

entry for the spinning part, tho its bad quality, i forgot to change a setting on my cam, and im not filming again, so enjoy :P[video=youtube;PsJb8JOuKLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJb8JOuKLs[/video]

21. purplet
    Date: Sat, Apr 14 2012 16:13:07

since i just sat on that mod and broke the barrel i though hey why dont u use the last modrod barrel uv got on it to repair? there it is^^ And some Emboss Mod:

22. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Apr 14 2012 20:06:58

[video=youtube;iJUdFFfcOL8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUdFFfcOL8[/video] Parts: 1 Modrod Barrel 2 Modrod Grips 2 Nextage tips

23. Lucid
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 06:08:22

Basic ModRod KT. Can you guess what category it goes in? Dr Comssa mod. Comssa body and caps plus rings and modrod grip and dr grip tips. Spins nice. New mod! I call it christmasrod. Entry for best use of color and best original mod. And all the other categories. Sorry for the quality difference. My actual camera broke so i used my phone for the last two pics. Uses 1 g2 and 2 g2 inktubes. And modrod barrel and grips. And yes, it actually clicks. And writes.

24. i.suk
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 06:13:05

[video=youtube;8Vav9DC-xAU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vav9DC-xAU[/video] used grips in buster-like mod, and body in yellow+blue mod, still picture at end of video redone ^^ @modrod

25. Kari
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 19:05:55

Modrod KT Length: 20.5 cm

26. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 19:35:53

Parts: 1 Namae body 2x HGG grips & tips 2x Signo Tips 2x Modrod grips 2x Comssa caps

27. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 19:45:20

Secret part to my DC [video=youtube;SZyfkxsjayQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZyfkxsjayQ[/video]

28. miyat
    Date: Sun, Apr 15 2012 21:46:17

[video=youtube;qUhSvYJ5Tgo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUhSvYJ5Tgo[/video] It's the green one.

29. Rudra
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 02:25:10

Me entry for any category. Coulomb Namae! Specs: Weight 15g Length 19.5 cm COP=COG Materials: 2x old namaes 2x signo tips 2x modrod grips tape

30. flaming oracle
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 05:43:56

Frozen modrod kt Entry for which ever Turtle salamander thingy? Best grip cut Modrod minwoo Entry for which ever X acto gel inspired from PMWT there is no tut for this Entry for best use of barrel Tools for grip cutting @HobbyLogics

31. PenwisH
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 05:49:02

contest is over already.... you're hour late

32. modrod
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 14:53:17

Alright, the contest is officially over. After some consideration, Flame your entries will be allowed since I did not post the CST deadline on both threads. Thanks to all entrants for some excellent mods, and some great spinning. Please allow a day or two to get all the polls organized. cris/modrod

33. PenwisH
    Date: Mon, Apr 16 2012 21:10:21

wait for all updates please